RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
daveharruk

Uk Preorders Started!

daveharruk

Hi,

Today I preordered a 64GB Encore in the UK - if you check out the Toshiba UK Facebook page they replied today to that very question. The guy I spoke to was Josh on 02036424952. They are estimating delivery second week of December for the 64GB version and first week of December (around 4th Dec) for the 32GB version. Hopefully the battery life will be adequate but am happy to take a chance with that. I really wanted a device with GPS and HDMI output as I can see myself taking it with me while travelling and watching video on a bigger screen. Prices are £249 for 32GB and £299 for 64GB including delivery - these seem pretty fair prices for this hardware and software, and are exactly the same as we've been led to believe so far. The only other device which fitted these requirements was the Acer W4 which is shown on their US website but nowhere else. The W4 may turn out to be a better device, of course, but there's no getting away from the poor reputation that Acer have for quality and support, although as a W700 owner, I'm very happy with its build quality - however for me it didn't seem to make sense to wait for a device with more risk of problems. I did think about the Dell Venue Pro line as well, but leaving out GPS and HDMI (all I can say to Miracast is... why?) really put me off - which is a shame as otherwise they look like really nice devices.

Hope this is helpful to people - will keep people updated if/when it actually arrives.

Cheers,

Dave Harrington.

Dave

Thanks for the heads up.  I look forward to your thoughts on it when it arrives!

Rob1488993271

Thanks for the info Dave, I am also in the UK and still trying to decide between all these new devices coming out.

Did you at all consider the Lenovo Mixx 2 8"?

As far as I am aware that also has the GPS and John seemed fairly impressed in the recent podcasts.

daveharruk

Hi Rob,

Yes, the Lenovo looks like a nice device too, and their previously released devices have been very good indeed - but it is so difficult to decide without reviews of final versions. I'm fairly sure the Lenovo device doesn't have a HDMI port. I'm not entirely sure that it has GPS either, as sources differ on that, and Windows 8 devices all seem to be able to find an approximate location presumably by triangulating from public wifi hotspots, so it is not always clear whether the hardware is there or not. I'm willing to be surprised, but I always think if it isn't mentioned in the official specification, then it's very unlikely to be there as I'm not sure why a manufacturer would miss out a potential selling feature.

Dave.

Thanks for the info Dave, I am also in the UK and still trying to decide between all these new devices coming out.

Did you at all consider the Lenovo Mixx 2 8"?

As far as I am aware that also has the GPS and John seemed fairly impressed in the recent podcasts.

JohnTW

The Lenovo Miix 2 8 does not have HDMI out. It does have Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS). I just don't know if that means a true GPS receiver though.

Rob1488993271

I prefer the sound of "Toshiba Encore" to the other names haha.

Nothing like telling folks what you own by rattling off seventy digits.

Second week of December is a long time to wait, but, the Toshiba does sound to be a much clever build.

Have to agree with Dave about Acer, they are very hit and miss, their peripherals seem to often be priced a little on the high side also.

Edited by Rob

daveharruk

I received mine today and so far am pretty impressed with it. It feels pretty solid in our hand with no flexing in the case. After over an hour using it the back feels lukewarm at LHS. The back is a silver plastic textured surface and is reasonably grippy. It currently has 39.6GB free out of 52GB total; that is with some apps from my other tablet installed but no Office - there is a product key with which to install that in the box. There is also a card which lists some accessories - a stand case in black, green, turquoise or orange, a touch screen pen and a sleeve in the same 4 colours. It comes with McAfee installed which I immediately deleted, as well as Spotify and some Toshiba support desktop applications. The screen is good, not as good as on my W700 but the viewing angles seem fine and it is certainly easily bright enough for me. I thought orientation lock was a hardware requirement but clearly not as this doesn't have a switch for that. Battery life is difficult to say at this stage - will need a bit more time to play with it. GPS is definitely present - it says so on the box and in Maps it found my location spot on with only a small area of uncertainty. Performance is pretty good with lots of Metro style apps running - not tried many desktop apps yet. The camera seems quite grainy in relative dark but as I'll be just using it for Skype I'm not too bothered about that but my IPad loving colleague thought it was good. WiFi signal strength seems adequate if not spectacular - maybe slightly less good than the Lumia 920 and W700 I have here too (the W700, being larger, I would expect to be better). I've not yet tried Bluetooth but will do so tomorrow.

If anyone has any questions, please ask away - am happy to try anything out within reason.

Regards,

Dave.

Rob1488993271

Great to hear Dave. Hoping mine will arrive tomorrow.

I won't ask any questions yet, don't want to spoil my surprise haha  :D