RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Asus Transformer Book T100

WireBoy

Hey guys!  I posted this on the HomeServerShow forum but thought I might get more feedback here.

What are your thoughts on this Windows 8.1 dockable tablet?  I've always liked the Asus Android series of dockable tablets and feel that they're nicely done.  This T100 comes in 32GB ($350) and 64GB ($400) models, and includes Office Home & Student 2013 and uses a Bay Trail-T Quad Core Z3740 1.33 GHz Processor.

http://www.asus.com/..._T100/#overview

I think my church is buying one of these to run the lighting.  Once they get it and I get my hands on it... I will give you my thoughts, but yes Darren did discuss it on the latest podcast.

I got the 64GB model from Walmart on Friday.  It's pretty nice.  I'm trying to understand the sleep/hibernate situation.  I"ll typically be using it docked, so I was hoping to just close the tablet on the dock and would expect it to sleep and then eventually hibernate to save battery.  I notice that the screen does go dark when it's nearly "closed" on the dock, so I assumed that meant sleep mode was being activated.  I did that in the morning with nearly full charge.  However, when I came back later that evening, the battery was down below 20%.  Any thoughts are welcomed.  Thanks.  Enjoying the T100 so far.

I'm still not getting the battery performance that I expect when the T100 is idle.  For example, it was fully charged when I unplugged it this morning at 8am.  I closed the screen onto the keyboard, noticing that the screen went dark in the process.  When I checked the unit when I got home this evening at 7pm the battery was at 60% and the unit felt warm.  I've looked all through the power settings and nothing obvious jumps out at me.

It may be going to sleep but then waking up due to network activity. I had a similar issue on my desktop computer.

Go to the wireless devices properties in device manager and look for this:

TopStory-2010-05-27-WOL-Ck.jpg

Saying that though, it could be anything, a bluetooth mouse/keyboard. Any device or hardware installed that is being overly sensitive and has that option enabled to wake the PC will pretty much prevent sleep from working - it worked fine before the 8.1 update on my desktop PC, since then I have had to mess about a bit to get it right.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still enjoying this device and have no problems to report.  I did notice that Darren mentioned on the recent podcast that he had problems and returned his.  I'd love to hear more about your experience Darren.

Another bargain IMHO is the inclusion of Office.  Do the other popular Windows 8.1 tablets, e.g. Venue 8 Pro, Omni 10, Miix 2, include Office?  I've seen conflicting reports.

I'm also very interested in the Plugable UD-3900/UD-3000 docks.  I saw one review here already, and Dave mentioned he was also going to be working with some Plugable products soon.  I'm looking forward to hearing more.

My Dell Venue 8 Pro and HP Omni 10 came with Office. I think it is linked to tablets with Atom CPU, but I am not sure of the rules.

The Dell Venue 8 Pro came with a MS Office license key. The HP Omni 10 came with a key for Windows 8.1 Small Screen Touch with Office Home & Student 2013.