RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cost effective ideas Office/Library

dschoemaker1

I'm finishing up a Library/Office in my home. I want to stream media from my HTPC and the internet in that room. I would not be doing a lot of heavy duty computing or typing. Just the occasional hour in the evening to finish up some work and watch the news. I'm thinking about putting in an HP Touchscreen and mounting it on a swivel off one of the bookcases. I can use it as a picture frame then swing it down when I need/want. I want something that is functional and cost effective. Want as FEW wires as possible so it would all be bluetooth or wireless except for power.

Alternative ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Don.

So, your list of needs are (in no particular order):

1. Ability to browse the internet

2. Stream media from HTPC

3. Access to MS Office Applications

4. Cost effective (is this < $1000? or < $500?

5. Wireless (assuming network, keyboard, mouse)

If you didn't require MS Office applications you would be talking about an iPad.

What about a dual monitor approach and run Media Center on a second monitor while you work on another? Something I've thought about doing in the past.

I do that on my wife's laptop all the time. We have a desktop monitor sitting beside the laptop. If you don't maximize WMC then you can run it on one monitor while continuing to work on the other.

Did he mention portable? I was thinking of a nettop or a shuttle pc. The unit and the monitors will wires (unless they're integrated) but other than that, it can all be wireless.

CSKENNY your correct...

1. Ability to browse the internet

2. Stream media from HTPC

3. Access to MS Office Applications

4. Cost effective (is this < $1000? or < $500?

5. Wireless (assuming network, keyboard, mouse)

Insofar as price. I'd LIKE to keep it under $500 (US). I have an extra wireless keyboard and mouse lying around. I never thought about using a Laptop and running two screens... THATS a darn good idea. Anyone with experience on that have a recommendation for a laptop that can handle WMC on a 2nd screen and doing light word processing on the main screen?

Thanks for all the help.