RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
INeedHelp

Replaced Surface Rt

INeedHelp

I had a problem with one of the hinges on my Surface RT 1, and brought it back to the MS store and got it replaced. I brought the new surface RT 1 home, and started to set it up. All went well till I tried to connect to my Wi-Fi. No matter what I did, I could not find my Wi-Fi, so I just selected the "wait, and connect to Wi-Fi later" option. It then prompted me to create a username, and password for my Surface. I did, and it set it up. It set up the "default everything" on the surface, so I thought I could go into settings, and switch my account to my MS account. I tried to, but there was a prompt that said "this service is not available at this time". I don't know how to restore my surface to my old surfaces setting. So, how do I get everything on my old surface, onto this new one? Sorry if this is confusing. Just let me know if you need me to clarify with more detail.

Thanks for all of the help.

schoondoggy

Have you been able to connect to WiFi?

INeedHelp

Yes. I wasn't able to at first, but I am now on Wi-Fi.

schoondoggy

Were you able to do a restore?

INeedHelp

By restore do you mean restoring it back to factory settings, or restoring it to my setting with all my apps and files? When on turned on the new Surface RT 1, and selected the "select wifi later" prompt, it asked me to create a PC username and password. So I have factory settings on it now if that's what your asking? I just can't figure out how to get all of my apps and files from my old one onto the new one. I tried switching my user account to a microsoft account, because I thought that might work? But it said "the service is not available at this time" I'm out of ideas...

Thanks for the help

schoondoggy

Is your Microsoft store nearby? If so I would go there and ask for help. By restore, I mean getting all of your old stuff on the new Surface.

I cant seem to find the info, but I thought you could do that.

INeedHelp

It's a little over an hour away, I am hoping I can, in the setting- user tab, I can switch the account to a microsoft account. Hopefully that will put all of my files, and apps on the new one. I should have just had then set it up there with me. I wonder if I can wipe the new one, and start over? There's nothing important on the new one. I had a ton of files on my old one for school.

Thanks for the help

schoondoggy

Did you have your files saved to Skydrive?

You should be able to reset the new one to factory settings.

Then log in with your account.

INeedHelp

I ended up wiping my Surface RT, and starting over. Everything worked fine, and most of my files were saved. A few were lost, but they were unimportant. I reinstalled all of the updates along with 8.1, and everything seems to be running smoothly.

Thank you very much for the suggestions, and helping me figure this out. Besides the issue with restoring my Surface RT. When I was at the MS store, my experience replacing the Surface RT was very good. I walked in, told them the problem, and without saying that I had the replacement plan/extended warranty, they said they would take care of it, and give me a new one. I haven't had a bad experience at the MS store before really, and am glad to see that wont be changing any time soon. I am actually looking forward to the next time I have to go to the MS store.

Again, thanks for all of the help