RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Mr Bill

EX485 Not Responding

ikon

I suppose malware is a possibility, but I HAVE been running Avast WHS version for a couple of years - I would hope no malware found its way onto this server. As for memtest, not sure how I would see the results since the server becomes inaccessible.

Good point. I forgot about the 'headless' part; just one reason I will never again run a server that doesn't at least have the ability to connect a KB and monitor, even if they're not connected 99.99% of the time. I guess that also makes it difficult/impossible to run MalwareBytes :*(

You should be able to run that at POST.

But how would he see the results (we're talking Memtest86, right)?

jmwills

Yes, I keep forgetitng about the headless part. A USB to VGA adapter seems to be in the future or....I have one of the adpater cards like DieHard has that I would part with for what I paid for it.

ikon

:D me too. It's such a PITA.

Joe_Miner

I know this is an old thread, but the same thing has happened to my server. How long should I know to wait until giving up? It is very strange - I can hard boot the server, and it is totally accessible via RDP for about 5 minutes, and then becomes inaccessible in every way except ping. It has no error lights on the front (it is an HP EX485). Thanks in advance for the help.

Maybe not exactly your problem but I had a similar type of situation http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3184-flashing-blue-health-light-drive-lights-are-all-out-on-ex487/ so there might be some worthwhile info in that thread.

If you can, you may find it useful to shut down your EX485 and pull your drives out 1 by 1 and check them in another machine and then replace each in exactly the same slot you took them out of in the 485.