RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Mr Bill

EX485 Not Responding

Mr Bill

Back up and running, It just had to take a day to run the complete CHKDSK on the data pool.

All is working at this time without any errors in the event logs.

PS. Under the Setting tab, HP MediaSmart Server tab, LED's tab, where you adjust the brightness of the LED's on the serve, this adjusts the brightness of ALL of the LED's except the Power indicator.

With this up, drive indicators are on and all three indicators are on at the bottom on the front.

With this all of the way down, only the Power indicator is on.

All is back to normal, thanks for eveyones help.

gjlowe

I know this is an old thread, but the same thing has happened to my server. How long should I know to wait until giving up? It is very strange - I can hard boot the server, and it is totally accessible via RDP for about 5 minutes, and then becomes inaccessible in every way except ping. It has no error lights on the front (it is an HP EX485). Thanks in advance for the help.

ikon

I'm not at all sure you have the same problem. However, in the 5 min. you have after each reboot, you should quickly go to Event Viewer and check for errors. You may have to reboot a few times to check all the logs.

gjlowe

Thank you for your response. I did this, and I do see the iastor error once in a while, but nowhere near a 1:1 correlation with the server hanging. In most cases, the only error I see in the system event logs is the unexpected shutdown due to me giving the server a 1 finger salute. I have checked all of the other event logs and see nothing there either.

ikon

OK, Well, usually, when I hear about situations where a computer starts, runs for a bit, then shuts down, I think first of heat-related causes. Then I think of hardware, often again associated with heat stress: CPU overheating, RAM overheating, drives overheating, etc.

If you shut down the server, does it always restart OK immediately after the shutdown, no matter how long it's been running? If it always restarts OK right away then it's less likely it's heat related.

gjlowe

So it doesn't shut down - it just becomes inaccessible via RDP and the shares are not accessible. It pings fine, and no error lights show up on the box. It does boot up and is accesible for a short period every time. I have left the system off for an extended period of time with the same result upon boot. I have read a thread elsewhere where someone had a similar issue, let the box sit for a day, and then it was fine (he says it was doing a chkdsk or something like that). I am trying that now. Either way - I would have agreed with you, but I have not observed any additional heat, and even have done things like clean out the hardware and put it near the AC vent to try to minimize heat build up.

ikon

Excellent. So now I'm wondering if there's a memory issue. It's a bit of a long shot, but it might be worth running memtest86 on it overnight just to be sure the RAM is OK. If it is, then I would say it's got to be a software issue. Is it possible it's got malware?

jmwills

Malware was my first impression since the NIC seems to get flooded after about 5 minutes. I forget the netsh command but there is one to run to see all ports being used.

gjlowe

I suppose malware is a possibility, but I HAVE been running Avast WHS version for a couple of years - I would hope no malware found its way onto this server. As for memtest, not sure how I would see the results since the server becomes inaccessible.

jmwills

You should be able to run that at POST.