RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Saving Power (from show 69) What are you doing to save the planet?

jcollison

What kind of techniques are you using to save power with your home pcs and network? Hardware? Software? Settings? Old PCs vs New PCs? Putting them to sleep? Waking them up? Tell us what you do?

I wanted to put both laptops and the desktop on a sleep-after-30-minute type timer. I wanted to make sure that WOL worked first, and I just haven't gotten around to doing that.

I've been using more power efficient components where I can. For instance both my MC and WHS are being built around AMD Athlon X2 5050e's. However I'm not at all of the mind set to put power reduction above performance where performance is needed. The Atom is nice and all but let's face it it's still a pretty lame CPU by today's standards. Using smart power management will get you better compromises in the end I think. But getting Sleep working properly, especially in MC is pretty tricky. The Missing Remote has a good guide on troubleshooting that here: http://www.missingremote.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4394&Itemid=1

I refuse to use MC until it is part or an add-in to WHS. I will not have two machines running all the time. Thus the xbox is just a gaming system and I won't buy it. I will just use my PS3 with PMS.

ImTheTypeOfGuy,

I think you're missing out. If you want an all in one solution check out, gasp dare I say it? SageTV. They have a WHS version here: http://www.sagetv.com/whs.html Personally I like MC much better but Sage is a good product that has its pluses and a strong community supporting it too. I also hope MS folds MC into WHS with the next release but for now I can live with two boxes running.

I sleep my server for 10 hours while I'm at work. And I sleep my and my gf's PC's so they're available for for backup to server. I try to buy green HDD's. And I'm looking for a decent video card, quiet and low power, that can still play some games. My 8800 GTS 640 Meg isn't bad, but I think I can do better.

I hibernate everything from 12am to 5pm, WHS as well. WHS however runs backups from 8am - 10am and wakes itself and everything else up.

I also run a TED 5000. I monitor my energy consumption from Work/Wherever. I also can tell when one of my pc's is running for no reason when I am not home. Log into P80 and hibernate it =).

lcwmc.jpg

I set my laptop to sleep after 20 minutes of inactivity and shut it off when I'm finished at night. Once I have the WHS setup to run backup, I'll probably put it to sleep or hibernation. As far as my HP MSS WHS, I use the Lights-out add-in on the server and the lights-out client. I have these configured so that if my laptop goes to sleep or hibernation, or is powered down, then after 10 minutes the WHS is put to sleep. So, if I wake or power up my laptop then the WHS will wake up. Works very well.

/Mike Biel

I am not doing much to "conserve". I do have SageTV running on my WHS right now.

Believe it or not, I just about cut my electric bill in 1/2 getting rid of a 10+ year old dehumidifier that was running in my basement.

I like to see what other people have posted. Especially interesting to see the mention about the TED 5000. I had not seen it before and now it looks like there is another piece of technology I think I need to spend my money buying!