RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microsoft Security Essentials on WHS

TheGuy

Has anyone be able to figure out a way to install the Microsoft Security Essentials software on the WHS? It must be possible....

Any Smart people out there?

TheGuy

Microsoft have been pretty clear that they do not support MSE on any of the server platforms, including WHS, which is in essence Win2k3...

The Microsoft recommendation is to use Forefront, which you can get if you are an MSDN subscriber, or through regular retail and volume channels....

Is anyone out there using ForeFront? I checked MSDN and the last update to the client was 03/28/2008. The Exchange client was more recent though. I've seen a post talking about ForeFront on WHS before and that it works well. I may have to try this one out but don't tell anyone that I installed AV on a WHS!

It isn't just that it isn't supported by Microsoft - it won't work on WHS due to the fact that it is a server OS, which is a whole different animal than the XP/Vista/7 branch of the OS code trees.

Personally, I don't recommend any A/V solution for WHS, though I can understand people wanting protection if they are installing and running add-ons of dubious origin.

As for data files, the clients will handle the protection when files are accessed. You can also point many different A/V solutions to the WHS Shares to do scans, either on demand or per a schedule.
-steve

sboots, I feel the exact opposite. I beleive there should be at least a realtime virus scanner on *any* computer that has contact with the internet. Directly or indirectly. 90% of the security updates in Windows are "remote execution" patches. Which means if a hacker got into your system, they could launch a virus *for* you.

I am running Avast on WHS and all my other computers, no problems. Unless you count the very ugly client PC interface.

I'm thinking I might need to run something on mine. Just to be safe. I hate to install it though! I also really like Security Essentials on my PC's. Whatever I put on my WHS I want it to be light and not a hog.

A friend of mine works for MS and he indicates at this time there is no plan to make MSE work for WHS. Very dissappointing.

You guys have heard me say it before, but I don't use it on my WHS. Every client is protected with Microsoft Security Essentials and I am careful with what goes on my machines (read - no torrents).

That being said, it WSE ran on WHS, I would likely install it. WAFFLE!