RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
GByOBRRLZG

Does The Surface Pro Have Enough Ram Memory?

GByOBRRLZG

Hello current Surface Pro users,

Does your Surface Pro have enough memory installed to do its tasks?  Does it ever seem to lag due to lack of memory?  If so what types of tasks were you doing?

Thank you.

SurfaceProArtist

4 GB is plenty for most tasks, but I upgraded to 8 GB with my Surface Pro 2 order. The only lag I've experienced is working with 11x17 600 dpi files in Manga Studio. The lag occurs at file saving time.

Polariz

I presume that both the Surface Pro and Pro 2 have a single DIMM slot? Also, the memory is likely soldered on :(

I just sold my RT and my Lenovo X220 tablet to consolidate down to one device. The biggest problem I have is that the Lenovo X220 had 16GB RAM that I used for Virtual Machines for work. I'm going to really miss that extra head room and will have to either fudge things into working or come up with another idea.

I stayed away from the original Pro, purely because 4GB wasn't anywhere near enough.

There are more than enough positives to outweigh this (Major) downside though.

M.

SurfaceProArtist

How important is the Surface Pro's Wacom digitizer to you? If it's not that big a deal, you may want to look at Sony's upcoming Vaio Flip lines. The 15A includes an N-Trig stylus, which has 256 levels of pressure, but otherwise it's vastly superior spec-wise to the Surface Pro 2. http://store.sony.com/vaio-fit-15a-flip-pc-zid27-SVF15N18PXB/cat-27-catid-All-Ultrabook-Flip 

That link is for the super hi-res screen. There's also 1920x1080 model that is less expensive.

Polariz

Thanks for the link. The Wacom is pretty important, but more important really is the form factor. I want to get away from a PC/flip-type device and either the Venue Pro 11 or the Surface Pro 2 really fit the bill.

I spend a lot of time in datacentres where often there isn't anywhere to put a PC, so a tablet was spot on (As light weight as I can get) - but I didn't want to compromise on specifications by going for an Atom-based device, and wanted to have one device only (So no laptop + tablet anymore). Also, a docking station option is a must (I intend on buying two or three!)

I probably should have mentioned, that I ordered my Surface Pro 2 a couple of days ago :)

KahunaCowboy

4GB is plenty for most, you may need to curb multitasking and open programs when using bigger resource intensive creation programs, but that's a given being the nature of the beast of what the Surface is.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• milev
      By milev
      Hi,

I have upgraded from G1610T to E3-1265Lv2 with success but the memory speed which is still stuck at 1333MHz instead of 1600Mhz.

I have 2 x 4GB DIMMs with one be the original HPE DIMM and the other a Crucial 4GB 240 Pin DDR3 1600 MTps PC3-12800 CL11 Unbuffered ECC UDIMM Memory Module )(https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IW4M9PK/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item)

The iLO memory summary is always showing:

and while I am on the latest firmware ....

The BIOS options available are : 1066, 1333, Auto
      I have also tried the power setting to "max performance" but still the memory speed remains to 1333Mhz

Any ideas on how to set the memory operating frequency to 1600Mhz ?

• DaMenace
      By DaMenace
      I have a 64gb SD Card in my Microserver N54l Gen8 with Server 2012 R2. Is it possible to utilize the SD card for memory, and how?
    • kokerson
      By kokerson
      Any advice on this issue would be appreciated.

I have Surface RT running windows 8.1 with 2 gig of RAM and the 32 bit OS

When I use my finger to scroll through docs in PDF viewer, the screen gets blurry and then if I keep trying to page down, the screen will turn white then it takes a few seconds (seems like forever) for the screen or whatever to "catch up" then the doc text is displayed.

Any advice on what causes this?  Is it just a limitation of the machine?  Not enough memory?  The PDF viewing app?  I don't know where to start to look for a fix... other than buy another faster device?

Kevin
    • Gmb1986
      By Gmb1986
      Hi all,

I have 2 x 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz UDIMM ECC Unbuffered memory for sale - perfect for the MicroServer Gen8.

These are brand new, still sealed in the packaging.

Reason for sale is the supplier sent a duplicate order - I have the other set working in my Gen8 currently.

Here's a link to the product on the vendor's page: https://www.mrmemory.co.uk/memory-ram-upgrades/hp/proliant/microserver-gen8-g1610t?search=hp+microserver+gen8 

They have HND branding on them, which I believe is the European distributor of Hynix Memory.

List price is £46.99 each.

I'm open to reasonable offers - as I'm new on here, here's my eBay feedback: http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=gmbaxter&ftab=AllFeedback 

Based in the UK.

Many thanks.

• Dorissemi
      By Dorissemi
      Hi,

I have a question regarding the cache memory for the p410. In the specifications I read that it supports 512mb and higher 800mhz DDR2 memory. Now I am wondering if I can use the 512 DDR2 500mhz memory I have on a p400 raidcontroller that's lying as a spare part, and if possible would the speed difference affect system performance?

I am fairly new to hardware, and was offered to buy the p410 without memory or battery it being the reason I am asking.

Greetings
      Doris