RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Surface 2 In A Multi User Environment

GByOBRRLZG

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a surface 2 for a familiy of 6.  Two parents and 4 young children.

The children will need to access school websites that undoubtebly use flash and require a complex username, teacher's email, passcode / pin.

What should I expect performance wise of a surface 2 with 6 people signed into it? 

Should I get the larger disk version of the surface because the whole family plans to use it?

Is there an RT version of Last pass or a RT last pass like solution to remember all the passwords for the school sites?

Thanks!

I would get the 64GB version.

There will be common apps between all 6 users, they only get installed once. So 6 users does not mean you will fill up the drive too quickly. Performance should be fine. You can only have one person signed in at a time.

There is a version of LastPass for RT. I assume each user would need an account, but I am not sure on that.

Before buying I would go to a store and play. Be sure you can log into all of the kids websites.

Do you have a Microsoft store near you?

Close for a microsoft store is an hour away... but I think I will make that journey as it will be fun for me and the kids.

I am curious how skydrive will work with video they create with the device.  Will skydrive whisk it automatically away to skydrive and delete it from storage to make more storage avaliable?

bottom line, they are going to love fresh paint!

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a surface 2 for a familiy of 6.  Two parents and 4 young children.

The children will need to access school websites that undoubtebly use flash and require a complex username, teacher's email, passcode / pin.

What should I expect performance wise of a surface 2 with 6 people signed into it? 

Should I get the larger disk version of the surface because the whole family plans to use it?

Is there an RT version of Last pass or a RT last pass like solution to remember all the passwords for the school sites?

Thanks!

I have had an Surface RT since March. Earlier in the year, flash support went from a white list to a black list. For my experience, I seldom see issues with support for sites using flash.

Having a Windows 8 laptop with 5 people (2 adults, 2 teenagers, 1 pre-teen) with 5 separate accounts, I notice a slowdown depending on the state of what the others have left their environments in. However, some of those individuals do more than just using the browser. We've gotten good, as a family, at not leaving a whole lot running when we put the computer to sleep and so it isn't too awful. However, there are differences between my laptop and an RT:

1. The RT doesn't have a harddrive it uses SSD. Boot up time is faster from sleep.
  2. Traditional software isn't installed. I presume that windows 8 apps, that are not designed to run on a background thread or have not been given permission to, will not impact the system as much as traditional apps. Since Windows RT only runs windows 8 apps I assume that having multiple locked accounts will not affect the performance as much as a Windows 8 x86 machine running a mix of apps and traditional software.
  3. If your family is in the habit of logging off versus locking their profiles, it won't matter that there are 6 profiles associated on the tablet. Performance should be as good as a tablet with 1 profile.
  4. IE 11/IE 10 is really good at remembering passwords. I have used it to remember my library card number and password since the first time I logged in (other things too.) Just remember if you ever decide to clear the browser history or cache, make sure you don't clear out passwords.
  5. Storage. Depends on how you plan to use the tablet. If you are always connected to Wifi, I highly suggest using Skydrive for storing any documents you want. Place your pictures there too or on an USB external storage device. I have a 64gb RT tablet but, after 7 months, I still have over 32gb free on the device. Also, you can add a micro SD card and add the extra storage when you need it and at a cheaper price then the extra 32gb costs by buying a 64gb tablet. 

Thanks for all your responses.  I went and got a 64GB model.  I am perhaps too use to how 8.0 skydrive works to understand if I need that much. 

I found in IE that I can configure it to remember form information.  Some of these school website require my kids to enter their teachers email address, their username, and a password.  Setting the option to remember form data helps a little.  They just need to remember the first letter of each to get the auto-populate drop down selection