RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Surface 2 In A Multi User Environment

GByOBRRLZG

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a surface 2 for a familiy of 6.  Two parents and 4 young children.

The children will need to access school websites that undoubtebly use flash and require a complex username, teacher's email, passcode / pin.

What should I expect performance wise of a surface 2 with 6 people signed into it? 

Should I get the larger disk version of the surface because the whole family plans to use it?

Is there an RT version of Last pass or a RT last pass like solution to remember all the passwords for the school sites?

Thanks!

schoondoggy

I would get the 64GB version.

There will be common apps between all 6 users, they only get installed once. So 6 users does not mean you will fill up the drive too quickly. Performance should be fine. You can only have one person signed in at a time.

There is a version of LastPass for RT. I assume each user would need an account, but I am not sure on that.

Before buying I would go to a store and play. Be sure you can log into all of the kids websites.

Do you have a Microsoft store near you?

Close for a microsoft store is an hour away... but I think I will make that journey as it will be fun for me and the kids.

I am curious how skydrive will work with video they create with the device.  Will skydrive whisk it automatically away to skydrive and delete it from storage to make more storage avaliable?

bottom line, they are going to love fresh paint!

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a surface 2 for a familiy of 6.  Two parents and 4 young children.

The children will need to access school websites that undoubtebly use flash and require a complex username, teacher's email, passcode / pin.

What should I expect performance wise of a surface 2 with 6 people signed into it? 

Should I get the larger disk version of the surface because the whole family plans to use it?

Is there an RT version of Last pass or a RT last pass like solution to remember all the passwords for the school sites?

Thanks!

I have had an Surface RT since March. Earlier in the year, flash support went from a white list to a black list. For my experience, I seldom see issues with support for sites using flash.

Having a Windows 8 laptop with 5 people (2 adults, 2 teenagers, 1 pre-teen) with 5 separate accounts, I notice a slowdown depending on the state of what the others have left their environments in. However, some of those individuals do more than just using the browser. We've gotten good, as a family, at not leaving a whole lot running when we put the computer to sleep and so it isn't too awful. However, there are differences between my laptop and an RT:

1. The RT doesn't have a harddrive it uses SSD. Boot up time is faster from sleep.
  2. Traditional software isn't installed. I presume that windows 8 apps, that are not designed to run on a background thread or have not been given permission to, will not impact the system as much as traditional apps. Since Windows RT only runs windows 8 apps I assume that having multiple locked accounts will not affect the performance as much as a Windows 8 x86 machine running a mix of apps and traditional software.
  3. If your family is in the habit of logging off versus locking their profiles, it won't matter that there are 6 profiles associated on the tablet. Performance should be as good as a tablet with 1 profile.
  4. IE 11/IE 10 is really good at remembering passwords. I have used it to remember my library card number and password since the first time I logged in (other things too.) Just remember if you ever decide to clear the browser history or cache, make sure you don't clear out passwords.
  5. Storage. Depends on how you plan to use the tablet. If you are always connected to Wifi, I highly suggest using Skydrive for storing any documents you want. Place your pictures there too or on an USB external storage device. I have a 64gb RT tablet but, after 7 months, I still have over 32gb free on the device. Also, you can add a micro SD card and add the extra storage when you need it and at a cheaper price then the extra 32gb costs by buying a 64gb tablet. 

Thanks for all your responses.  I went and got a 64GB model.  I am perhaps too use to how 8.0 skydrive works to understand if I need that much. 

I found in IE that I can configure it to remember form information.  Some of these school website require my kids to enter their teachers email address, their username, and a password.  Setting the option to remember form data helps a little.  They just need to remember the first letter of each to get the auto-populate drop down selection

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• E3000
      By E3000
      Hey guys,

As of June 2020, what are the latest versions of firmware for HP Microserver Gen8 to be installed on the system itself? Also do any other components have updatable firmware/os-independent software?

So far my list is as follows:
      BIOS - J06 (04/04/2019) iLO 4 - v2.73 (11/02/2020) Intelligent Provisioning - v1.71 (20/02/2019)  
      and I guess the following could also be added (although both out of date):
      Smart Update Manager (HP SUM) - v8.1.0 (21/12/2017) Service Pack for ProLiant (06/11/2017)  
      Date formated as DD/MM/YYYY.

I believe all the B120i Smart Storage stuff is part of Intelligent Provisioning.
    • Angelus
      By Angelus
      Good day all

i bought a gen 10 x3216 MicroServer and I have been trying to install windows server 2016 on it with a usb and I get it to boot into the usb with the iso on it but I can not get past the one install step where u supposed to select the drive.

instead it says to download storage drivers and browse to select driver. I have downloaded every single storage driver from the hpe site or is sure does feel like it.

if I try to select the driver I have to do so manually by unticking show only compatible drivers because if I leave it ticked there is nothing compatible. Iam stumped on what the correct driver is.

ok so what Iam trying to do isssssss I want to install the os onto the usb that I have attached inside the box the one that is directly coming off the board. Is that a different driver ? 

In bios/boot up options I can see all usb connected.

can anyone please help me with this 
    • Al_Borges
      By Al_Borges
      Dropbox is deprecating  the "free" tier of their storage plans

got an email from them this evening  that "I cannot link any new devices" and the only alternative is to upgrade to a $10/month plan

This is from their forums

"Dropbox device limit
      Dropbox Limits Its Free Accounts To Maximum Of Three Devices. Previously, there was no such limit implemented. According to the Dropbox website, as of March, users of its free Basic tier can add their account to a maximum of three devices. However, if they already had the device linked to more than three devices, then they will continue to function. "
      I don't know how hard and fast this is  -   I tried installing a dropbox instance on my cell phone and couldn't this evening -    I think my main PC

is on the list -   I couldn't find a listing of existing "connected devices"  on my dropbox account.

I don't even know what my other two devices are -   probably long gone  my old windows cell phone for example.

Just as Well -    Dropbox was my main cloud storage about what 10 years ago but with the improvements to OneDrive/Gdrive, and my eventual use of Office 365 storage became kinda moot.   will probably just cancel my account, which is probably what they wanted anyway

what is the old saying  "If you aren't paying for the product, you are the product"    

also   "once bitten twice shy"     Cloud Storage is not a  true  backup  

due to Crashplan's demise,    this winter I backed up all my irreplaceable data  ( family photos, documents)  on   M-Disk archival Blu ray disks.  

I have a copy in my firesafe and at my Brother's house  in another state.   

• Dave
      By Dave
      I've been a big fan of this product and have it running in my home.  It's now $20 off if you follow this link.

http://mbsy.co/circlemedia/mccabeio

There is an Amazon link to buy it and December 17th to 22nd it will also be $20 off on the Circle website.  So heads up!

Take a look at the video below for a better understanding of what it can do for you.  In my house, if anything hops on my wifi the box will notify me immediately.  I've set it up so anything that jumps on is put in a KID friendly profile.  I look at what they are seeing on their iPads and can turn off apps. YouTube, Safari, App Store = Off.

• jcollison
      By jcollison
      Wieger and I had talked about Storj a few months ago on Home Gadget Geeks, but at the time, the client was not quite ready.  Last night I thought it was time to try again.  Things have improved.

Get info on Storj at https://storj.io/

Its now easier to set up and connect.  Better instructions as well.  Like SIA, which we have been covering also, there is no $$$ in Blockchain storage yet.  But being home server guys, its an interesting thing to keep an eye on.  After just 24 hours, I am already storing 58GB of data.  Been on SIA for almost 2 months now and am only at 90GB.  So I have both running.  

You can find info on SIA mining at https://siamining.com/  .  Info on the company and the storage is at https://sia.tech/

Lots of info and lots of videos out there on both products.  I suggest you watch a few before you jump in.  Love to converse on your findings