RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Upgrading To Windows 8.1 Failed

Rod at home

Tonight I tried upgrading my desktop, a Windows 8 Pro machine, to Windows 8.1 Pro, but it failed. It got to the point of trying to upgrade device drives (I think), and then something went wrong. It downgraded back to Windows 8 Pro, at least I hope it did. I'm writing this on my laptop, because I'm not sure what sort of state my desktop is in. I'd like to know if others are experiencing the same thing? I'm holding off upgrading all my other Windows 8 machines until I learn.

Later, after my desktop finally came up back up it gave me a message. This is what it said:

"Couldn't update to Windows 8.1

Sorry we couldn't complete the update to Windows 8.1 We're restored your previous version of Windows to this PC.

0xC1900101 - 0x30018"

I also had the same message, not 100% certain on the error code.

I don't know exactly what stage I was at, I figured close to the end as the computer was requesting a reboot.

Edited by RogerSpackman

Yeah, mine was going through the process, I think, to reboot, but instead of rebooting it just shut itself off. I waited a couple of minutes to see if it would bring itself back up, but it never did, so I decided to power it back up. That's when it gave me the message that the update failed and it started the rollback process. Now, this might be because I've still got my old HD in, and as I've mentioned elsewhere (maybe on the Home Server Show forums) my old HD is giving me problems. In other words, this might not be the Windows update problem, but my equipment problem.

I'm going to check other places where I've posted this message, and see what they say. If there's nothing more about it (and it appears to me as though most people are updating without incident), then I'm going to try updating my wife's desktop. She's got a newer machine that's not giving any problems.

Last night I tried putting Windows 8.1 onto my wife's desktop. It went on fine; no problems at all.

I'm now trying to install 8.1 onto my laptop.