RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Mediasonic Enclosures

SabatonFan80

Hey guys,

Has anyone here used Mediasonic products? I'm thinking about picking up one of these (4-Bay, eSATA/USB3 Enclosure) for my WHS data drives.

I'd consider an IcyDock product, but they don't seem to have anything with esata and USB3 on the market just yet. I've also had my eye on some of the SansDigital enclosures on amazon, but the reviews aren't exactly inspiring confidence...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinkererguy

• jazzerjay

• G. WadeTech

• SabatonFan80

Hey guys,

Has anyone here used Mediasonic products? I'm thinking about picking up one of these (4-Bay, eSATA/USB3 Enclosure) for my WHS data drives.

I'd consider an IcyDock product, but they don't seem to have anything with esata and USB3 on the market just yet. I've also had my eye on some of the SansDigital enclosures on amazon, but the reviews aren't exactly inspiring confidence...

The real question is why you want to go external. It safer to have WHS handle each drive as opposed to JBOD or a RAID box. You might consider expanding your WHS which is what I ended up doing. Just a thought.

Thanks for the links. I don't actually hang out on the mediasmartserver forums much, but I'll take a look and see if I can find any other info/comments..

The real question is why you want to go external. It safer to have WHS handle each drive as opposed to JBOD or a RAID box. You might consider expanding your WHS which is what I ended up doing. Just a thought.

My reason for going external is I want to be able to easily switch the disks from one host to the other (one of the benefits of having a virtualized WHS). Currently I'm running all my data drives in 1-bay Vantec enclosures, but having a decent 4-bay enclosure would let me free up some SATA ports.

I am running WHS v1 and had some USB single HD enclosures that died on me and purchased the Mediasonic HF2-SU2S2 about 3 days ago. The WHS is running on a Dell OptiPlex 745 Small Form Factor case and has been working great since November of 2009. My issue is that I plug in the Mediasonic HF2-SU2S2 (via USB) with my 3 HD's and still have two other USB external HD enclosures plugged into the WHS. The HD's in the Mediasonic HF2-SU2S2 light up and seem to be working but they cause the WHS to freeze/lock up so it is non responsive. If I power off the Mediasonic HF2-SU2S2 then the WHS becomes responsive again and all is well only now I am missing HD's from the WHS pooled storage. Is this a power consumption issue? Any thoughts or things to try would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It looks like the Mediasonic box has it's own power supply so it doesn't seem likely that you have a power supply issue. Have you plugged the Mediasonic box into another PC and confirmed that it is only a problem with your server?

That is on my troubleshooting list... I will try that out and post the outcome. Let me know if there are other thoughts I can add to my troubleshooting list.

I plan to purchase a eSata PCIe card on black friday but would like to get the enclosure working on USB first.

I tried plugging the enclosure into my main system and it is working perfectly... Any other ideas? I have started to uninstall add-ins to se if that will help.