RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
WolfJT

Rt 8.1 What I Like So Far

WolfJT

I've been perusing around RT 8.1 and so far I really like what I see. IE 11 is working very well, it seems fast and reliable. My Citrix receiver app is finally working (didn't work in 8.1 preview). My HTC 8X works with the Win Phone 8 app now. I really like the mail app, it has some good new features. There's nothing I don't like about 8.1 so far, how about you?

pfinter

Spent most of last night on my RT looking at the changes. I like most of what I see. I like the new features of the mail app too. I probably will use it over outlook on the desktop.

• Like 1

mplovan

It definitely seems smoother and faster.

I like the small but noticeable indicator of where to swipe for menus or other controls.

I had to force the app updates though.

haven't done much yet.

I was pleasantly surprised that all of my apps reinstalled themselves with, as far as I can tell no loss in data. I kept hearing that I would need to reinstall them myself.

WolfJT

It definitely seems smoother and faster.

I like the small but noticeable indicator of where to swipe for menus or other controls.

I had to force the app updates though.

haven't done much yet.

I was pleasantly surprised that all of my apps reinstalled themselves with, as far as I can tell no loss in data. I kept hearing that I would need to reinstall them myself.

What I found is if you swipe up on the start menu all you're apps will be listed and you'll see a indication by all the apps that need to be installed.

mplovan

What I found is if you swipe up on the start menu all you're apps will be listed and you'll see a indication by all the apps that need to be installed.

I was used to the store tile indicating the # of updates.

Instead I had to check for updates to see the 25 apps.

Midge

I am loving the new update and haven't found a single flaw, I love the mail as well. major improvements

WolfJT

Is it just me, it feels like all the metro apps are running more smoothly under 8.1? Older APPs that tended to crash a lot are more stable and work much better. My, my what a wonderful update 8.1 is. I am so pumped for the future of this platform. This leads me to believe that the win blue update for phone will work wonders as well. Things are certainly looking bright for MS, in my opinion that is. I am running Surface RT and with this update there I see no reason to go with Surface 2. I am going to wait for Surface 3.

pfinter

Anyone else notice that the Metro OneNote app doesn't work well in the split mode anymore?  It looks fine in the 20% mode but, anything else except the 80% or full screen and it only displays the 20% screen size with large black borders on the sides.

I'm guessing that it needs an 8.1 update (same for the Nook app)

JBresky

I have the same issue with some apps. They either work in the 20, 80 or 100% snap view. Everything else give black borders. I assume they need some kind of 8.1 update to support other sizes or this is the way they will look.

mggm

I haven't found a "close all tabs" command in IE 11.  If it is there, someone please steer me in the right direction.  If there isn't one, it's something that should be included in an update. 

Otherwise I am quite pleased with the improvements in 8.1.  I think they put a lot of thought into how people move around these systems and did a lot to make moving around easier.  The ease of getting to the "all apps" screen is a good example of that.  But there are many more.