RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
surfaceRT

Windows 8.1 Available

surfaceRT

Looked in the store this morning and the 8.1 download was available for my Surface RT. I am downloading now!

surfaceRT

Downloaded and Installed. Just FYI for everyone - I started from Windows 8 (not the preview of 8.1) with 60% battery on my surface RT, and after the update there is 45% battery left. Took about 1 hour and 15 minutes to do the install.

surfaceRT

One more thing for anyone upgrading to 8.1 - free up disk space after the upgrade process. Run the disk cleanup utility after the upgrade is complete and click the button to Cleanup System files. The "old" windows 8 installation was using 2.68GB of space on my surface.

berty6294

Is your onscreen keyboard acting funny cause mine has been and it's really getting on my nerves. It gets laggy when I type fast. Never had the problem on 8 but it got terrible on my 8.1 preview and is only slightly better on the general release (still pretty crappy though).

Karlrado

Not a Surface RT question, but related...   Does anyone have any definitive knowledge about the 8.1 update rolling out to the Dell XPS 10 devices?   I won't be able to check mine until later this evening to see if it is available.  I'm curious if the update goes out to the Dell device on the same basis as for the MSFT Surface RT device.  My (hopeful) thinking is that it won't be any different; the Dell XPS 10 should be getting it at the same time as Surface RT.   Any thoughts?

surfaceRT

Is your onscreen keyboard acting funny cause mine has been and it's really getting on my nerves. It gets laggy when I type fast. Never had the problem on 8 but it got terrible on my 8.1 preview and is only slightly better on the general release (still pretty crappy though).

Honestly I haven't noticed any additional lag when using the onscreen keyboard so far.

Karlrado

Not a Surface RT question, but related...   Does anyone have any definitive knowledge about the 8.1 update rolling out to the Dell XPS 10 devices?   I won't be able to check mine until later this evening to see if it is available.  I'm curious if the update goes out to the Dell device on the same basis as for the MSFT Surface RT device.  My (hopeful) thinking is that it won't be any different; the Dell XPS 10 should be getting it at the same time as Surface RT.   Any thoughts?

I was able to check on a friend's XPS 10, and the update is available!

Mochahead

I wanted to wait until the weekend to update to 8.1 I didn't do the preview--call me unadventurous. I have tried to access the RTM version of 8.1 in the store app, but no joy. I read on answers.microsoft.com that I would need update KB2871389 before I could see it. A quick check verified that I had installed that update last month. I scanned for more Windows Updates, but am completely up to date.

I had read about some RT users having problems with their Windows RT 8.1 upgrades, but nothing about the upgrade not being available to properly updated devices.

Any suggestions? I installed 8.1 on my Lenovo Yoga, and when I get "burned in," I am going to update my Surface Pro, but I would like to get my RT upgraded as well.

Mochahead

Ah. I thought that might be the case. Appreciate the update and the link.