RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hardware recommendation

Kwan

Hi all,

I've been reading and learning here and happy to have found this site. I am a WHS noob and this is gonna be my first build. I want this mostly for media storage, ripping with EAC to flac, HD content output to a TV and seeding lots of torrents. I have a budget of $500-$650. I've been looking at the Core I3-540 and the Gigabyte GA-H55M combination. I haven't settled on a case but I would like something future proof in regard to HD addition. Let me know what you think .

:)

You want to hook the WHS up to a TV? WHS's are set up to be headless.

What type of media streamers do you have to use insted?

While it probably could be done, using a WHS box as an HTPC isn't really supported. Typically, the approach would be to use WHS as a headless box, and then have either an HTPC or other media streaming device connected to the TV. I keep my server in the office closet, and then use my xbox to play movies and whatever else from the server on my TV. There have been various ideas around of running Media Center on a computer and using virtualization to run WHS as well, or possibly doing it the other way around. Otherwise, if the backup functionality isn't important to you, I would just build an HTPC and let it stream media to other computers.

I should add that I plan to use this as a HTPC as well. :)

To be completely frank, that's not really a support usage scenario. You'd be better off to have separates.

K guys I really appreciate the fast reply. Lets just focus on the WHS for now. I could work with headless for now with a eye on upgrading in the future. What MB and processor combination would you advice me on? I would be looking to add about 5 HD's for starters so the case must have room for this.

K guys I really appreciate the fast reply. Lets just focus on the WHS for now. I could work with headless for now with a eye on upgrading in the future. What MB and processor combination would you advice me on? I would be looking to add about 5 HD's for starters so the case must have room for this.

You are on the right track with I3-540 but the I3-530 will be just as good for WHS. You will not be able to tell the difference even in Vail. As for the motherboard, I would stick with the Gigabyte and get one that has USB 3 for the future. Will alow you to make backups and if required extend your storage without the speed sacrafice. For hard drives, consider the 2T EADS from WD as they are on sale right now and use a small caviar for the OS. If you have not selected yet, go with the cooler master for the power supply (the modular one). THe case is up to you, but the best low cost case I have seen for a server is the Lian Li Lancool. It holds 5 drives, great air flow over the hard drives, and virtually silent. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Mother board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128429

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112154&cm_re=lancool-_-11-112-154-_-Product

Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171036

Hard drives: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136344

Hi again,

I'm still a little bit undecided only on the case. I have lots of HD and lossless (flac) contents and I'm thinking I might reach quite a few Terabytes in a year. What case would you advice on, keeping a eye on the future. I would like to future proof my buy for at least a few years. As things stands today, I have 2.9 TER of data and climbing.

Edited by Kwan

Hi again,

I'm still a little bit undecided only on the case. I have lots of HD and lossless (flac) contents and I'm thinking I might reach quite a few Terabytes in a year. What case would you advice on, keeping a eye on the future. I would like to future proof my buy for at least a few years. As things stands today, I have 2.9 TER of data and climbing.

Using the case in the above link, I presently have 9T running in a vail server.

vailserver.jpg

Soon I will load up this device which fits nicely on this case and gives you three more drives for a total (depending on the drives used) of 7-21T.

dsc01209p.jpg

dsc01208rk.jpg

If that is not enough, you can use this one. 10 Internal drives + The cage above for a total of 13 drives. I have a similar case with 12 drives in it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112243