RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hot Swap

joem

I have a removable hard drive bay for sata drives. I like to have trays I can swap in and out. My bios is set for AHCI. This removable bay has a power off and on button. When my PC is up and running and I hit the power on button I get a blue screen. What I have to do to get the drive powered up is turn off the computer and power the the drive on and then power on the computer. My assumption was that AHCI and hot swap would allow me to power up a drive in the bay while Windows is up and running. It connects directly to a sata port and the motherboard. Would appreciate any information about this. Thanks.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• mrossco

• joem

• kermi

Top Posters In This Topic

What else do you have plugged into the power supply? Maybe the extra draw from the additional drive is causing the blue screen..

I have 2 Optical drives, 2 other hard drives. 750 Watt corsair power supply. More than adequate. Also a simple Video card.

Are you using the "remove Process"? Try to remove/eject from the tray icon and see if that works.

Hmm.. strange. Even if the drive isn't configured for 'fast removal', it shouldn't cause BSOD.. just potential data-loss on the drive.

I have a removable hard drive bay for sata drives. I like to have trays I can swap in and out. My bios is set for AHCI. This removable bay has a power off and on button. When my PC is up and running and I hit the power on button I get a blue screen. What I have to do to get the drive powered up is turn off the computer and power the the drive on and then power on the computer. My assumption was that AHCI and hot swap would allow me to power up a drive in the bay while Windows is up and running. It connects directly to a sata port and the motherboard. Would appreciate any information about this. Thanks.

Also, could you post the BSOD-info? Picture of the BSOD-screen would give all the info nicely.

Because you stated that you are configuring AHCI in your BIOS, I'm assuming that your external bay is connected via eSATA. Is this accurate? What port is it connected to on your motherboard, and what motherboard do you have? Most desktop-grade boards aren't going to support hot-swap unless its connected to an actual eSATA connector...

It is connected via a standard sata connector on the motherboard. Not eSata. The MB is an Asus P6T SE. J Micron controller. There is no tray icon. Here is the blue screen crash dump information. I can't figure out how to insert an image of the blue screen. Thanks.(if you google whocrashed, you can download this utility to read the blue screen minidump)

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Mon 11/1/2010 2:17:56 PM your computer crashed

This was likely caused by the following module: csrss.exe

Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA800C0DBB30, 0xFFFFFA800C0DBE10, 0xFFFFF800033885D0)

Error: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION

Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\110110-21668-01.dmp

file path: C:\Windows\system32\csrss.exe

product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

company: Microsoft Corporation

description: Client Server Runtime Process

The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

It is connected via a standard sata connector on the motherboard. Not eSata. The MB is an Asus P6T SE. J Micron controller. There is no tray icon. Here is the blue screen crash dump information. I can't figure out how to insert an image of the blue screen. Thanks.(if you google whocrashed, you can download this utility to read the blue screen minidump)

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Mon 11/1/2010 2:17:56 PM your computer crashed

This was likely caused by the following module: csrss.exe

Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA800C0DBB30, 0xFFFFFA800C0DBE10, 0xFFFFF800033885D0)

Error: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION

Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\110110-21668-01.dmp

file path: C:\Windows\system32\csrss.exe

product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

company: Microsoft Corporation

description: Client Server Runtime Process

The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Hmm.. i could try to poke in the crash dump file to see what's going wrong, if you'll send it over?

I really doubt csrss.exe has a fault that crashes your system..

Edited by kermi

It is connected via a standard sata connector on the motherboard. Not eSata. The MB is an Asus P6T SE.

The SATA ports on your board are driven by the Intel 10R southbridge. The IDE and eSATA ports on your motherboard are driven by the JMicron controller. The eSATA port "should" support hotswap, but the Intel SATA ports may or may not. I'd check your connections to make sure which controller you're plugged into, verify that AHCI is enabled for that controller, and then verify you have the latest and greatest drivers installed. For the Intel controller, you may need to have the Matrix Storage Manager installed.

My experience, using a toaster (that's sort of a removable hard drive bay, right?), is that when I drop in a drive and then power up, the OS hangs momentarily. If I power up the toaster and then drop in the drive, the system doesn't do that. I wonder why there is a power plug on an internal bay. I think I'd just leave it switched on, or think about buying another unit that is less cranky. I think the electronics in your hot swap bay are faulty.