RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
WolfJT

Keep Your Surface Rt Or Upgrade To Surface 2?

berty6294

I pulled the trigger, got the Surface 2 and I am in love! Ridiculously fast and just a joy to use! Will be picking up a type cover later this week, not sure what color yet.

CommonTek

I played with one at Best Buy tonight. I was generally underwhelmed. It didn't feel like a substantial upgrade, it felt more like an apple 'S' style iterative bump. Honestly though it may have just been the environment at BB. I hate not being able to pickup either the device or keyboard and truly wield it because of the damn tethered security alarms. Seriously, why the hell is the keyboard tethered?!

My brother, a surface RT owner, and I will be trucking out to our local store at MOA this Sunday to immerse ourselves in the new iterations as well as the other options.

He really wants to get a new keyboard, and see if he can keep his wallet from tossing money at the S2.

pfinter

I also will not get the Surface 2 and keep my RT. The browser performance of IE 11 over IE 10 are sufficient. I really have no complaints except for the Metro OneNote app not handling the split screen well between 20% and 80%. Looks like it needs an update.

Also, I've noticed the Overdrive eReader app freezes up in 8.1.  Never had an issue with it in 8. You get a few minutes where it is responsive but when you're reading, by the time you finish the page, you can't page up or down. You have to close the app and reload it. Not optimal.

Fil1488993270

I ordered one of the new backlit type covers, and it arrived this morning.  It makes a huge difference.  I had been using a touch cover but went for a type cover this time.  It makes a BIG difference on these aging eyes.  I feel more comfortable typing with the type cover too, even after nearly a year with the touch cover. 

So now I'm very happy with my decision to keep the RT but upgrade the cover.  The backlighting is a really major improvement.

I'm interested in the new backlit cover for the Surface 2 as well, but I was afraid it would not be compatible with the Surface RT. I still haven't recieved my touch cover from the retailer here, because of inventory issues. If I still don't get my touch cover in a few weeks, I'll probably just ask for a refund and get a new backlit cover myself.

pfinter

I'm interested in the new backlit cover for the Surface 2 as well, but I was afraid it would not be compatible with the Surface RT. I still haven't recieved my touch cover from the retailer here, because of inventory issues. If I still don't get my touch cover in a few weeks, I'll probably just ask for a refund and get a new backlit cover myself.

I hope you are enjoying your Surfaces. As far as the keyboards are concerned, I'm pretty old school and I really like my first gen type cover. I would love to upgrade to the Type Cover 2 for the backlighting and better rigidity.

If I were you though, and I had determined that I like the touch cover, I would go for the new touch cover 2. The number of sensors is crazy and not limited to just one behind each button area like the original. Sounds like they have plans for taking advantage of the new design and using gestures.

I haven't read anything that says the Touch Cover 2 isn't compatible with the original Surface RT. However, if you're not sure take your Surface to a Microsoft store or Best Buy and see if you can try it.

berty6294

The Type Cover 2's are ridiculously nice! So impressed with the build quality, much sturdier than the original covers, and very stylish and comfortable. Definitely getting one very soon.

Edited by berty6294

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• adih2001
      By adih2001
      Hello! Recently I've been thinking to upgrade the CPU in my HP ProLiant ML10 v2. It currently has a Intel® Pentium® G3240 (I got the model of this server that comes with the Intel® Pentium® G3240) and according to the manual I should be able to upgrade the CPU to a Intel® Xeon® E3-1220v3. Is this true? Do I need to change / get anything else? Thanks.
    • korso
      By korso
      Dear HomeServerShow:

I just upgraded my CPU from a 1610T to a 1220L. All is going well, but I noticed fan speed has increase from like 10-14% to 14%-18%. I am wondering if someone else who upgraded is seeing the same just to rule out that I applied thermal paste wrong, screwed up heatsink install or something like that. I was expecting more or less (or even lower) fan speed as this CPU has a TDP of 20W, and the 1610T had 35W.

Thanks a lot!

• Yogen8
      By Yogen8
      Hello everybody,

I bought a HP microserver Gen8 to learn ESX and to host some VM.

This is my initial configuration :
      CPU G1610T Celeron 12Go RAM 1 microSD (ESX) 4 HDD (data) 1 SSD (vm)  
      Really great hardware but I wanted to upgrade it to have more core/thread (and more VM).
      After read many and many post like this :
      https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/6596-hp-microserver-gen8-processor-faq/
      (and many many other )
      I bought a E3-1265L (v1 > the strange and cheaper version ^^) with a TDP at 45W and frequency lower than the v2 (processor base frequency = 2,40GHz instead of 2,50GHz) and my understanding was the difference between the original CPU (TDP = 35W) and the E3-1265L is enough small to avoid thermal problems.
      BUT... (do you expect that ? )
      After many test, I know I have a new heating system in my house...
      Let me explain.
      I made some test with mprime and I found these (relevant) results :

ORIGINAL CPU : CELERON G1610T
      power consumption : arround 52 W
      cooler : CPU fanless and optimal thermal setting in bios
      Zone | T0 | T+30' | T+1H | T+2H | T+4H | =================================================================== CPU | 40°C | 40°C | 40°C | 40°C | 40°C | RAM | 35°C | 44°C | 44°C | 43°C | 42°C | VR P1 Zone | 46°C | 52°C | 52°C | 52°C | 52°C | ===================================================================  
      NEW CPU : E3-1265L (v1)
      power consumption : arround 93 W
      cooler : CPU fan (2 NF-4x10 Noctua added on the cpu heatsink) and maximum thermal setting in bios
      Zone | T0 | T+30' | T+1H | T+2H | T+4H | =================================================================== CPU | 40°C | 53°C | 54°C | 55°C | 54°C | RAM | 35°C | 47°C | 49°C | 55°C | 52°C | VR P1 Zone | 46°C | 58°C | 62°C | 62°C | 61°C | =================================================================== note 1 : with the E3-1265L, all test without cpu fan are aborded after some minute because the cpu was overheated (manually stop over 65°c)
      note 2 : with the E3-1265L and "cpu cooled by Noctua", the microserver is less reactive (ie : iLo need more time to give web gui)

I have some questions :

1) Do you think my results are good ?
      I received the CPU in a very bad package and without anti-static bag. Maybe it doesn't work fine ?

2) Do you know a test to confirm the good preformance of my CPU ?
      I don't know how to benchmark my CPU with similar other configuration

3) Only 10W TDP between Celeron and E3-1265L and too large increase of temperature ? Have-you the same result ?

4) Have you some warning point to share with me ?

5) Today, should we continue to use the B120I instead of AHCI for SATA performance ?

Thank's by advance,
    • GByOBRRLZG
      By GByOBRRLZG
      Hi, I'm thinking of getting a surface 2 for a familiy of 6.  Two parents and 4 young children.

The children will need to access school websites that undoubtebly use flash and require a complex username, teacher's email, passcode / pin.

What should I expect performance wise of a surface 2 with 6 people signed into it? 
      Should I get the larger disk version of the surface because the whole family plans to use it?

Is there an RT version of Last pass or a RT last pass like solution to remember all the passwords for the school sites?

Thanks!

• usacic
      By usacic
      I have been having lots of issues with my Surface 2, 90% of the time I reboot or boot my surface it requests my bitlocker key. Is anyone else having this issue? Did anyone manage to fix it?