RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
WolfJT

Keep Your Surface Rt Or Upgrade To Surface 2?

WolfJT

That is the question, to upgrade or stay with RT. Personally I think I'm going to keep my RT but purchase a 10 inch tablet with full blown 8.1. I don't want to spend over a grand for the pro.  I love my RT and I use it everyday, but there are many times I wish I had full blown Windows. As a compatible consumer device I think it is the best out there. Hopefully more enterprise APPs will be released for RT 8.1 because I believe it can be such a great platform. The main limitations I have with RT are VPN, and Citrix receiver, and the go to meeting app is so watered down it's unusable.

How many are going to upgrade???

JBresky

I have had a surface about a year now, got it from the US before it was released in here in Sweden. So far I have not felt that limited by the tegra 3 in the things I do. I use office, YouTube RT, IE, Mail, twitter and so on. Hardly any games.

So I'm a bit undecided on an upgrade. What attracts me is the new screen, camera and kickstand. What holds me of is that the RT I have is sufficient and I do not fancy the new silver color.

I think I will see what 8.1 brings and how the RT feels after that before I decide. 

ROZZ

I am very interested to see how much the performance has
improved on the Surface 2. I’ve been using a Lenovo Yoga 11 RT device since
March and a Surface RT for about 2 weeks. To me they are both almost perfect
devices except for that slight lag that you see, especially when opening apps.
If I were considering upgrading from the Surface RT to the Surface 2, I would
be inclined to wait until the final release of RT 8.1. I’m crossing my fingers
that it is a little faster and a lot less buggy.

If you decide you really want full Windows 8 Pro, I would
look into selling the RT and getting a 1st gen Surface Pro. I consistently
see them for $650-850 on ebay and cragslist. Usually they include a touch or
type cover if not more accessories. This way you could keep the form factor you
love and gain Win8 Pro all while staying clear of the $1,000 mark.

• Like 1

WolfJT

Those are some good options Rozz. I like you am really banking on the final release of 8.1 to bring everything to where it should be. I think RT has great promise. I love the price point and the promise of the productivity one can have on this. I am hoping it will get better. If there was a Cisco anywhere client and if the RT would be able to sync mobile devices running CE.NET and win mobile OS's I wouldn't need a big ole laptop.

schoondoggy

or keep the RT and buy the Surface 2, because,,,,, I don't know why,,,,,,,

mggm

I have ordered one of the new Type Covers because of the backlighting, but I think I am going to keep the RT.  

WolfJT

I love a backlit keyboard for sure. That is very inciting. I could always give my wife the RT. :)

mggm

Both of the new covers are compatible with the RT, so all you need is the cover.  But it does make a nice excuse for getting the whole package.  ;)

I want to wait until I've had time with 8.1 before making a decision about the Surface 2.  Right now, the only thing I'm drooling over is one of the backlit covers.  The RT is doing everything I want it to do quite nicely.  

My original plan was to get the RT and hold out for 2nd generation Pro.  As it turned out, I like the RT a lot more than I expected.  At this point I no longer feel a need for a Pro, especially considering the trade-off bulk, weight, and battery life.  When I need to use legacy apps on the Surface (which doesn't happen more than a couple times a week) Remote Desktop or TeamViewer work well enough for my needs.   

But my plans are always subject to revision.  LOL  

ROZZ

Some hope for keeping the first gen! There is a Youtube video where a man compares his 1st gen RT (the one he's holding) running 8.1 RTM performance to a video someone made in store of the Surface 2 (the one on the screen in front of him) performance here. It's hard to tell what's going on at first, but the man is performing the same tasks at the same time on his Surface gen 1 as they occur on the screen in front of him. The video of the surface 2 performance he is comparing to is here.

Dave

I was thinking about doing that in the store but was afraid of getting booted!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• adih2001
      By adih2001
      Hello! Recently I've been thinking to upgrade the CPU in my HP ProLiant ML10 v2. It currently has a Intel® Pentium® G3240 (I got the model of this server that comes with the Intel® Pentium® G3240) and according to the manual I should be able to upgrade the CPU to a Intel® Xeon® E3-1220v3. Is this true? Do I need to change / get anything else? Thanks.
    • korso
      By korso
      Dear HomeServerShow:

I just upgraded my CPU from a 1610T to a 1220L. All is going well, but I noticed fan speed has increase from like 10-14% to 14%-18%. I am wondering if someone else who upgraded is seeing the same just to rule out that I applied thermal paste wrong, screwed up heatsink install or something like that. I was expecting more or less (or even lower) fan speed as this CPU has a TDP of 20W, and the 1610T had 35W.

Thanks a lot!

• Yogen8
      By Yogen8
      Hello everybody,

I bought a HP microserver Gen8 to learn ESX and to host some VM.

This is my initial configuration :
      CPU G1610T Celeron 12Go RAM 1 microSD (ESX) 4 HDD (data) 1 SSD (vm)  
      Really great hardware but I wanted to upgrade it to have more core/thread (and more VM).
      After read many and many post like this :
      https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/6596-hp-microserver-gen8-processor-faq/
      (and many many other )
      I bought a E3-1265L (v1 > the strange and cheaper version ^^) with a TDP at 45W and frequency lower than the v2 (processor base frequency = 2,40GHz instead of 2,50GHz) and my understanding was the difference between the original CPU (TDP = 35W) and the E3-1265L is enough small to avoid thermal problems.
      BUT... (do you expect that ? )
      After many test, I know I have a new heating system in my house...
      Let me explain.
      I made some test with mprime and I found these (relevant) results :

ORIGINAL CPU : CELERON G1610T
      power consumption : arround 52 W
      cooler : CPU fanless and optimal thermal setting in bios
      Zone | T0 | T+30' | T+1H | T+2H | T+4H | =================================================================== CPU | 40°C | 40°C | 40°C | 40°C | 40°C | RAM | 35°C | 44°C | 44°C | 43°C | 42°C | VR P1 Zone | 46°C | 52°C | 52°C | 52°C | 52°C | ===================================================================  
      NEW CPU : E3-1265L (v1)
      power consumption : arround 93 W
      cooler : CPU fan (2 NF-4x10 Noctua added on the cpu heatsink) and maximum thermal setting in bios
      Zone | T0 | T+30' | T+1H | T+2H | T+4H | =================================================================== CPU | 40°C | 53°C | 54°C | 55°C | 54°C | RAM | 35°C | 47°C | 49°C | 55°C | 52°C | VR P1 Zone | 46°C | 58°C | 62°C | 62°C | 61°C | =================================================================== note 1 : with the E3-1265L, all test without cpu fan are aborded after some minute because the cpu was overheated (manually stop over 65°c)
      note 2 : with the E3-1265L and "cpu cooled by Noctua", the microserver is less reactive (ie : iLo need more time to give web gui)

I have some questions :

1) Do you think my results are good ?
      I received the CPU in a very bad package and without anti-static bag. Maybe it doesn't work fine ?

2) Do you know a test to confirm the good preformance of my CPU ?
      I don't know how to benchmark my CPU with similar other configuration

3) Only 10W TDP between Celeron and E3-1265L and too large increase of temperature ? Have-you the same result ?

4) Have you some warning point to share with me ?

5) Today, should we continue to use the B120I instead of AHCI for SATA performance ?

Thank's by advance,
    • GByOBRRLZG
      By GByOBRRLZG
      Hi, I'm thinking of getting a surface 2 for a familiy of 6.  Two parents and 4 young children.

The children will need to access school websites that undoubtebly use flash and require a complex username, teacher's email, passcode / pin.

What should I expect performance wise of a surface 2 with 6 people signed into it? 
      Should I get the larger disk version of the surface because the whole family plans to use it?

Is there an RT version of Last pass or a RT last pass like solution to remember all the passwords for the school sites?

Thanks!

• usacic
      By usacic
      I have been having lots of issues with my Surface 2, 90% of the time I reboot or boot my surface it requests my bitlocker key. Is anyone else having this issue? Did anyone manage to fix it?