RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Surface Rt 1 To Rt 2?

INeedHelp

Is there anybody else hoping there will be some sort of trade up option for us loyal Surface RT 1 fans? I know the chances are slim, but wouldn't it be nice.

Edited by INeedHelp

Sure it would be nice for the early adopters but the reality is rarely do programs like that exist. Sad part is they are giving money for people trading in IPADs but won't reward those who supported the platform from the beginning. I hope they announce something and prove me wrong. They should at least offer what they are offering for IPaD trades.

The Surface 2 starts at $499, what would it take in trade value to get you to shell out the difference to upgrade?

Great question. As much as I'd like to see it around 150 or so. Anything above 225 I'm probably out. If they want my surface in its original box, original bag, with the receipt, and me to bring it in. I would gladly do it, but I hope they will show gratitude to the early adopters (the same people that haven't given up on surface yet) of RT 1. It'll be interesting to see what Microsoft does, and how things unravel.

I imagine their rationale will be that "If you like the RT 1, why would you want to trade it?"

That being said, to upgrade to the full 1080 screen and the Tegra 4 chip and a little better battery life and two position stand...  I would pay $199 to upgrade my 64GB RT1 to a 64GB RT2 (if they made a RT2 with 64GB). But then again, I'm happy with what I have now. Just want to put 8.1 on it and go.

That's a good point. I absolutely love my RT! I was just hoping for an upgrade option because; if there's anyway I can enhance my surface experience, why not take it. I will be going to college in two years, and would like to use my surface till then, or even for college. The options on the Surface RT 2 would make the Surface even better for school. Especilly the backlit keyboard.

That's a good point. I absolutely love my RT! I was just hoping for an upgrade option because; if there's anyway I can enhance my surface experience, why not take it. I will be going to college in two years, and would like to use my surface till then, or even for college. The options on the Surface RT 2 would make the Surface even better for school. Especilly the backlit keyboard.

I went out to the pre-order site last night and the Surface 2 is still sold with 32gb or 64gb.  The extra Skydrive storage (200gb for two years) is a great option. However, after two years you're stuck paying for it or having to drop it back down to the free solution (unless, they have an upgrade option where you get another 2 years of extra skydrive for buying an update @ that time.) 

That being said, I have a 2nd year college student friend who recently replaced his stolen MacBook Air with an Surface RT (64gb). So far, he has been very happy.  I need to see how he's doing using oneNote (I introduced him to it 2 weeks ago) and if he is liking the touch keyboard. I'll see if he has come across some apps that he really likes too. His main reasons for purchasing was to use the browser, skype and Word.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing like that in the UK - at the moment. I was in Cincinnati a few weeks ago and managed to get into their MS store and get a look/see at the Surface 2 and Pro 2. Really nice devices - I'm interested in upgrading in getting the full HD display and USB 3 port.

Also with the way Skydrive is working in 8.1 - the 200Gb you get (even if its just for 2 years) is a really nice added benefit.

It is my understanding the backlit keyboards (both type and touch) are backwardly compatible with the Surface RT. If that is true, the cheaper option to make the experience better would be to just upgrade the keyboard.