RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Welcome Surface Pro 2

Dave

This where we will discuss the Surface Pro 2. 

TechAficionado

So, what's everyone think?  I wish the SP2 prices were maybe a bit lower.  The 8GB/256GB unit isn't bad, but the 8GB/512GB is a bit much with a $500 premium.  If they offered that with an i7, then maybe.

JohnTW

I think all the pricing is a tad high, especially the 8GB models. It gets too close to Retina MacBook or Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus range.

But the new models are very nice laptop/desktop replacements. Too much power for my needs.

• Like 1

TechAficionado

Agreed.  For $1799.00, you can get a nice ATIV Plus or the new Acer Aspire S3 with an i7 and touch screen.  But MSFT has peaked my interest.

Also, I'm wondering if Microsoft is going to still sell the first gen Surface Pro.  The battery life won't be the same, but interested to see the pricing on those.

Edited by TechAficionado

SurfaceProArtist

I just placed my pre-order for the 8/256 model. Power Cover wasn't available for pre-order, so that will have to wait. I think the $500 premium for an additional 256 GB of storage is ridiculous. When the docking station becomes available, I plan to replace one of my two systems.

• Like 1

jedimaster66

never got a surface pro the 1st time maybe 2nd gen. I may be looking into getting one. Does and can Itunes run on surface pro

pfinter

never got a surface pro the 1st time maybe 2nd gen. I may be looking into getting one. Does and can Itunes run on surface pro

Surface Pro is a full Windows 8 PC operating system. ITunes should run just fine.

• Like 1

SurfaceProArtist

Surface Pro is a full Windows 8 PC operating system. ITunes should run just fine.

Well...as well as iTunes will run on any Windows pc, which is not exactly "fine." I'm convinced that Apple purposely sabotages the Windows version as a trojan horse to convince Windows users to switch over to OS X. :-)

• Like 1

Mochahead

I thought the Surface Pro 2 was a good effort. It has the Haswell chip and is faster. Still, I would have liked to see a thinner Pro. If they could make a Pro in the size and the weight of an RT, I would be thrilled. The Pro as it is seems a little clunky to me. I still take it to work as my companion device, but this offering would not convince me to replace it.

I am going to get one of those colored type covers, though. Backlit and in color--just what I was hoping for.

• Like 1

pfinter

Well...as well as iTunes will run on any Windows pc, which is not exactly "fine." I'm convinced that Apple purposely sabotages the Windows version as a trojan horse to convince Windows users to switch over to OS X. :-)

You're right of course.  My daughters IPod was acting up and we had to back up her music and books first otherwise repurchase them (she had never connected the IPod to ITunes (on a PC) before. And a big warning message told her us to backup or lose the stuff.) Microsoft is much better in that regard.

ITunes was the only option we were aware of for backing up the IPod. Wasn't exactly intuitive to use and it has a horrible User Interface. This is surprising considering all the flack that Windows 8 took about hidden functionality.  

ITunes had many "features" I needed to use to back up the IPod, that couldn't be accessed without exposing the file menu which wasn't exposed upon Installation of the software. I wasted a lot of time trying to figure it out until I saw the option to display the menu bar. The exposed "IPod" button was a two piece button with the "eject" option on the right side. With no visual delineation between the Selection and eject sides of the button. The first time I used it I thought I was in the center of the button but, I guess I was closer to the ejection side. At this point I thought that was all this button was for (ejecting the IPod.) It took time to realize the button had more than one use.  

To make things worse, when I googled instructions on how to backup the IPod with ITunes, all the instructions were written with the assumption that the Menu bar was exposed or with an older version of ITunes in mind. I'm thinking ITunes got a facelift in some recent update. My daughter is hoping to use the IPod (4th gen) until she get's a windows phone (she is only 10 and a phone is out of the question for a few years.) This was her first and last apple product. I think the whole experience burned her on apple products. She's also refused to upgrade to IOS 7 too.