RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hard drive upgrade choice

deadspeak

I've been doing a bit of clearing out via ebay and now have a bit of spare cash, and i thought i'd use it do do a bit of upgrading.

I am currently at a bit of a crossroads, do i upgrade my main WHS drive to a caviar blk (currently running on an old IDE drive, sure it's the source of my read/wrire slow down issues) for about £40 or do i get myself a vertex 60gb ssd for my HTPC (currently running on a scorpio Blue 320gb) which does'nt seem to having any issues at the momeent. Not sure system would benefit more.

Also if i upgrade the WHS i'll have enough cash to drop on a nice juciy 2TB drive as well.

I vote for upgrading WHS drive, for now. You're happy with your HTPCs performance, so... But you will like an SSD in the HTPC, I'm sure of it.

Tough question. Here is my thoughts. First, you mention the your WHS is running an IDE. If that is your system drive, then replacing it with a Caviar Black will not help you much. If you are replacing data drives then you will get some speed gain. As an alternate, I run both of HTPC's on 30 Gig SSD which are a perfect size for an HTPC as they do not contain much software and you typically stream from servers. If you go with a 30 gig SSD for your HTPC you will still be able afford one drive for your WHS. Not sure what kind of HTPC you have but as jmwills stated, you can never go back once you run an HTPC. Just my thoughts.

I vote for drives in your WHS. If you're running IDE, then my guess is that the drive is fairly old.

I'm also running a Scorpio Blue drive in my HTPC. I love the drives as they run at 5400RPM, but they run neck and neck with most 7200RPM drives. I know that the SSD would improve boot times and possibly even make some of the menus a bit snappier, but overall, like you, I've been happy with the Scorpio Blue performance.

Get the drive for your WHS and rest a bit easier that your data is safe.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

My WHS sys drive is a few years old so it's pretty much due for an upgrade, but looking at my HTPC drive i'm only using about 17gb, so it makes sense to up that to a 30gb ssd and use the scorpio blue for recorded tv storage.

Dave was definatly right on this weeks show when he said that you BYOB guys help us to spend all our spare cash.

I might have no other choice but to stop listening at this rate ;-)

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

My WHS sys drive is a few years old so it's pretty much due for an upgrade, but looking at my HTPC drive i'm only using about 17gb, so it makes sense to up that to a 30gb ssd and use the scorpio blue for recorded tv storage.

Dave was definatly right on this weeks show when he said that you BYOB guys help us to spend all our spare cash.

I might have no other choice but to stop listening at this rate ;-)

Hopefully you will not have to resort to such drastic measures but it really does look like you need an upgrade to both especially the WHS. As mrossco stated, start with that while you look for a good deal on an SSD and thanks for listening.

Guest no-control

upgrade the the HTPC to a 30gb SSD then use the 320gb caviar as the recorded TV drive and if you have the cash left over buy a new spindle drive for the WHS.

Alternate would be to use SSD in the HTPC move the 320 over to the WHS as a system drive, and use the ide drive as the recorded TV landing pad. If it fails you don't lose anything critical (you're pushing recorded TV to the WHS right?)

upgrade the the HTPC to a 30gb SSD then use the 320gb caviar as the recorded TV drive and if you have the cash left over buy a new spindle drive for the WHS.

Alternate would be to use SSD in the HTPC move the 320 over to the WHS as a system drive, and use the ide drive as the recorded TV landing pad. If it fails you don't lose anything critical (you're pushing recorded TV to the WHS right?)

As i type this i'm currently finishing reinstalling my WHS onto my new 500gb caviar blk, all going well, and i just pulled the trigger on an OCZ vertex 30gb ssd, as suggested above this will become my os drive on my HTPC and the 320gb blue will be my recorded tv drive.