RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Time Machine Option for OEM WHS???

PCEddie

Hey All,

I am curious if Microsoft or a third party vendor is developing or considering developing a software solution to use Time Machine on a OEM Windows Home Server? Diehard has mentioned a article in reference to my question. Is anyone else interested in a Time Machine solution? I do understand that HP MSS has that option built into their latest OS but could they license the software so individuals could purchase it? I have searched the internet and found some hacks to get Time Machine to work with WHS but I don't want to start hacking into my Macbook Pro or my sister's 20" iMac and run the chance of breaking the Mac OS.

Thanks for reading my rant (PCEddie gets off his soapbox)

PCEddie

Ha...I asked an almost identical question on another thread. I would rather have a Mac client like we have for Windows machines and bypass the time machine entirely.

I am using Super Duper on my MacBook Pro.

Thanks for the suggestion jwolfera.

I am looking for a option to get Time Machine working on my home built WHS.

PCEddie

I also have used CCC for my netbook dual booting OSX and Win7. With my 495 it is no longer a problem, but the HP option does seem a little less elegant than I expected.

Hey awraynor,

Could you please elaborate. From what I read, I got the impression it is better than sliced bread. I love to read your impressions from people who use that option.

PCEddie

It's mainly that it is totally different than backing up a windows machine. I am new to the HP MediaSmart Server, but not to WHS in general so everything I say may be incorrect but:

1. You designate the total amount of storage allowed for the mac in the beginning
2. It all goes into a mac folder, and it doesn't show up under the computers and backup tabs like the windows pc's
3. it was a little odd to setup initially, but now it "just works"
4. I haven't had to do a restore yet, but I understand that is also different. Requiring a usb memory stick for one?
5. It's better than nothing for sure, but I had hoped it would be exactly the same as the windows machines.

I am in the process of building a dual boot hackintosh desktop and I will surely want it to be backup proof as well. Fairly non-specific, but others please provide input and corrections as you will.

• 3 weeks later...

I back my mac mini with timemachine right to my OEM WHS I have the link on how to do it at home. Ill post it when I get off of work!

• 2 months later...

Hey CablDeViL,

Thanks for the follow up to my post. I read what you have done and I am glad it is working for you. After researching backup options for the Macs on my network to my OEM WHS, I decided to go with CrashPlan and SuperDuper as backup solutions. I have SuperDuper backing up the complete hard drive every other day and CrashPlan backing up the local profiles every day. This plan is working for me and I don't think my sister or brother in-law would appreciate me hacking on their iMACs :).

PC Eddie