RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
schoondoggy

Surface Pro Docking Station Coming

ikon

If the specs are correct, I'm underwhelmed. There are already 'docks' (except you can't really dock the Surface in them, they simply plug into it) that have gigabit Ethernet, VGA, DVI, and HDMI ports, 2 or more USB3 ports, plus audio out and mic in and USB2 ports for keyboard and mouse. Seriously, only 1 USB3 port? Seriously?....... no, I mean it, seriously?

schoondoggy

For business accounts they need a real dock, not a port expander. Now they have one. 

• Like 1

ikon

OK, a bit OT, but related -- are you aware of, or do you know, how these 'port expanders as you call them' do the video. Are they pumping it out the USB3 port and require some kind of special driver on the system?

I still think the MS dock needs more USB3... just sayin'

schoondoggy

I have played with one from Targus. The only connection to the computer is a USB3 connection. You need to load DisplayLink software.

Why do you think you need more USB3 ports?

If this dock connects to the Pro through USB3 and you had multiple ports on the dock, it would be a USB3 hub, sharing the bandwidth of the one port. If the dock connects to the Pro in some faster way, then it may make sense for there to be a USB3 controller in the dock.

ikon

True, with multiple USB3 ports the USB3 would be shared, and is shared on the existing, non-MS docks, but I find it's rare that more than 1 device is active at a time, so it's not a big deal most of the time.

The idea of the DisplayLink software is not very appealing to me. On existing non-MS docks, it means the USB3 bandwidth is shared with the video. It would almost be nicer to have 2 inputs to the dock: USB3 and Mini-DisplayPort.

I'm hoping the MS dock connects using the keyboard connector. That's 1 reason I thought there might be a USB3 controller in it, since I'm presuming/hoping the keyboard connector has some serious bandwidth capability.

Polariz

Woot!

Polariz

Struggling to find one in the UK though :(