RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
kasuja

Button Configuration On Surface Pro Pen

kasuja

Thnx that worked.

• Like 1

ikon

Woah, woah guys; you lost me, probably because I'm not an artiste; I'm a photographer. I can make basic 3D drawings to illustrate an idea or point I'm trying to make, but 'fine art'? Fughette abowt it.

So:

1. Surface Pen: the one that comes with the Surface?
    1. if Yes, is its button configurable?
    2. if Yes to 1.1 can it actually be configured for 2 keystrokes?
      1. if Yes, how does that work? How does it know which keystroke to send each time?
    3. if No, which pen?

2. Wacom Control Panel: is this a Wacom panel created for MS for the Surface (I heard somewhere that MS contracted Wacom for the touch and pen tech used for the Surface: true? not true?)?
    1. If untrue, can I assume the Wacom driver & config software runs fine on the SP?

kasuja

@ Ikon.

1        The Surface Pro pen is the one that came with the Surface pro. This pen has 1 button. That button is configurable in the pen settings to do what you want.

1.1     is not possible.

3        If you want a compatible pen that has two buttons yo can get the old Wacom pen mentioned above from tablet4u that pen wil be configurable  for two buttons. The idea behind that is that you can have the same options as a two btton mouse.

Edited by kasuja

SurfaceProArtist

@Ikon, I hope that @kasuja is correct about the tablet4u pen being compatible. I eagerly await his report once it arrives.

Wacom makes two compatible pens: the Bamboo Stylus Feel Black and the Bamboo Stylus Feel Carbon. I reviewed them here: http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2013/6/10/wacoms-bamboo-stylus-lets-you-feel-the-surface-pro Unfortunately, both feature single buttons.

Even if you use the standard pen, it is possible to use the Wacom Feel IT driver, which provides pressure sensitivity in Photoshop and other applications. You can download it here: http://us.wacom.com/en/feeldriver

ikon

@ Ikon.

1        The Surface Pro pen is the one that came with the Surface pro. This pen has 1 button. That button is configurable in the pen settings to do what you want.

1.1     is not possible.

3        If you want a compatible pen that has two buttons yo can get the old Wacom pen mentioned above from tablet4u that pen wil be configurable  for two buttons. The idea behind that is that you can have the same options as a two btton mouse.

@Ikon, I hope that @kasuja is correct about the tablet4u pen being compatible. I eagerly await his report once it arrives.

Wacom makes two compatible pens: the Bamboo Stylus Feel Black and the Bamboo Stylus Feel Carbon. I reviewed them here: http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2013/6/10/wacoms-bamboo-stylus-lets-you-feel-the-surface-pro Unfortunately, both feature single buttons.

Even if you use the standard pen, it is possible to use the Wacom Feel IT driver, which provides pressure sensitivity in Photoshop and other applications. You can download it here: http://us.wacom.com/en/feeldriver

Thanks guys, especially for the info that the Feel driver will work with the SP. I take it that that means the pen tech in the SP is from Wacom.

SurfaceProArtist

Yes, the Surface Pro's digitizer is from Wacom, as are the digitizers on Samsung and Lenovo devices. It's a little difficult to find a complete list of compatible devices. This one, for instance, doesn't list the Lenovo Thinkpad x230t or Helix.

ikon

I downloaded and installed the Feel driver. Haven't noticed anything particularly different, but I haven't exercised it much yet, and I'm not noticing anything negative either.

SurfaceProArtist

When the driver was released in May, it was a huge improvement over the standard driver, introducing pressure sensitivity to Photoshop and several other apps. Since then, the standard driver has probably been improved (can't say for sure).

The driver I'm running was released in July by Wacom. Windows will continue to ask to overwrite it with an update that includes an older driver that breaks some apps like Sculptris. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in October when 8.1 is released. Hopefully, Wacom and Microsoft can stay in sync, but I suspect W will always be a version or two ahead.