RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
kasuja

Button Configuration On Surface Pro Pen

kasuja

Hello SurfacePro artists,

I'm enjoying my brand new Surface Pro. I use it for hand drawn 2D animation. I
wonder If it is possible to assign different short cuts to the Surface
pen button like Wacom allows you to do so on a Wacom cintiq of regular Wacom tablet.
The Wacom pen settings menu allows you to configure What the button should do
in what app. This seems NOT to be impossible with the Surface PRO. Even with
the Wacom feel driver installed or did I missed something?

For example:
I want to configure the button on the Surface PRO in a way that each time you press it makes an undo. in Photoshop. The problem with Photoshop is that it uses different short cuts for Undo than all other apps. Undo in Photoshop could be done in 2 ways. 

• ctrl+z for one undo. If you press ctr+z again the undo is undone.
  • If you want more undo's you need to do a different shortcut: alt+ctrl+z for multiple undo's.

All other apps use the short cut ctrl+z. Each time you press undo again it performs another undo unlike Photoshop. so you don’t need a different shortcut for multiple undo. How can I configure the Surface PO pen to make the button work the way I want? It should react the same in Photoshop as in all other apps.

Do you have any suggestion’s how i can fix that on the Surface Pro. For example is it possible to change the short cuts in Photoshop. That would also solve the problem.

Thnx in advance

ikon

Tell me about it. Personally, I think the PS shortcuts are inane; talk about awkward to use.....

SurfaceProArtist

I use the Wacom Feel IT stylus and the flush button design is very annoying. I'm always rotating the pen to avoid pressing the button accidentally. So I haven't invested any time trying to reprogram the button. I asked the Twitter feed. Hopefully someone can help you out.

I also use a Logitech bluetooth keyboard, so that allows me to enter shortcuts with my free hand while the Surface Pro is lying flat.

SurfaceProArtist

Have you tried going to Control Panel/Pen Tablet Properties and adjusted the setting for your button there? On my system, it's mapped to Tablet PC Defined, which I believe is right click by default. If you pull that down, you should be able to select Keystroke and input Ctrl-Shift-Z. Please let me know if that works for you.

• Like 1

kasuja

I've just bought a very old two buttoned Wacom pen that should work on the Surface
Pro. If the sales guy from http://www.tablet4u.nl/

is correct. The pen tip, and the two buttons should be recognized by the Wacom Feel driver. That would give us more flexibility but we still are not able to configure the buttons for different actions in different apps like it is possible on a regular Wacom tablet or Cintiq 

I've bought the: UP-817E Pen. 
http://www.tablet4u.nl/product/nl/4-pen-voor-pl-tabletten.html

SurfaceProArtist

Just tried that and it didn't work. :-( Buttons on both the Surface pen and the Wacom seem mapped to Move tool regardless of the control panel settings.

• Like 1

kasuja

Have you tried going to Control Panel/Pen Tablet Properties and adjusted the setting for your button there? On my system, it's mapped to Tablet PC Defined, which I believe is right click by default. If you pull that down, you should be able to select Keystroke and input Ctrl-Shift-Z. Please let me know if that works for you.

That works just fine.

only the undo short cut for photo shop is different that the undo short cut in all other drawing apps. ( alt+ctrl+z in PS for ctrl+z for all the other apps) 

SurfaceProArtist

Got it! I just had used the wrong keystroke combo for Step Backward: it's Alt-Ctrl-z. Since the Surface pen has only one button, I mapped it to both keys in the Wacom control panel. 

So now that we know the Surface Pen is configurable, it should just be a matter of changing the keyboard shortcut preferences in Photoshop. Clear Ctrl-Z in Undo and map Ctrl-Z to Step Backward.

• Like 1

kasuja

But if you use the pen in sketchbook Pro or any other app  the button wont do anything because alt+cltr+z is not mapped to undo.

Do you know how we could map the short cut in Photoshop from alt+cltr+z to cltr+z ?
That would solve te problem also

Edited by kasuja

SurfaceProArtist

Yes, see the second part of my post above. (And go back to the Wacom preferences and change the button settings to Ctrl-z)

Edited by surfaceproartist