RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
kasuja

Wacom Cintiq Connected To A Surface Pro

kasuja

Hi Surface geeks.

I recently got a Surface PRO and I want to connect it to my Wacom Cintiq 22HD.

The wacom cintiq needs an USB port to make the wacom cintiq pen work on the wacom cintiq screen. I cant get it to work if I use the USB port on the Power supply.

Does anyone know how I can use the USB port on the power supply for the connection with my Wacom?

The only way I can get it to work is connecting the Wacom cintiq direct in the Surface PRO. Is there a setting / prefference I need to adjust or change?

The less sticking outside of my Surface PRO the better. I hope I can eliminate the USB cable of the Wacom Cintiq and make it work with the USB port on the Power supply.

ikon

I don't think that's ever going to work. AFAIK, the USB port on the PSU is a USB charging port not a USB data port. IOW, it only has the power/charger circuitry.

Edited by Ikon

kasuja

Oh...
thats not what I've hoped for.

Maybe I can try a Minidisplay port hub that has USB(3) and DVI  that can
connect my Surface PRO to my Wacom Cintiq and a USB hub for all of my other
devices. I want to keep the USB port on the Surface PRO free for incidental
use.

Any sugestions what device could do the trick?

Edited by kasuja

ikon

DisplayPort 1.2 is supposed to provide for this, albeit USB2, not 3. However, I'm not aware of any actual products. I think your other option would be a USB3 hub. They do exist. Here's one that has 4xUSB3 ports and gigabit Ethernet: http://www.thenerds.net/SYBA.SYBA_Multimedia_Multi_Function_USB_30_Hub_Gigabit_Ethernet_Docking_Station_White.SYHUB50056.html?affid=2

BTW, if you think about it, how could the USB port on the PSU have data capability? The cable coming out of the PSU goes to the magnetic charging connector on the side of the Surface. Does it really seem likely that you could send data to that port?

Edited by Ikon

WolfJT

I'm sure there are unused pins in the cable that are handling the data transfer. Just like PoE for Ethernet cabling.

ikon

I'm sure there are unused pins in the cable that are handling the data transfer. Just like PoE for Ethernet cabling.

Exactly. I'm sure there are wires missing in the cable the connects the PSU to the Surface that would be needed to send data back and forth. The charging port on the Surface just isn't a USB port.

TMoy

I contacted a Wacom tech support rep and he told me that the surface pro wacom technology is older than the current Cintiq technology and would not work.  Although it might be able to get the monitor slaved and running, the drawing capabilities of each would be in conflict.  

Not saying that its impossible but probably tougher than initially thought.

If anyone figures this out, please share.  

Thanks

T

DarkRubberNeck

Why are you guys having trouble with this?? I find it extremely easy and I am using both a Surface Pro, a Wacom Intuos 4 and a Cintiq 24HD connected and working fine all at once O.o

Everything is connected to my surface pro through a nice usb 3.0 hub. My Intuos and Cintiq are both connected into the hub and the first thing I do with my factory setting Surface pro is plug the hub straight in.

Okay so the first thing I do when I install my computer is install the latest Wacom Intuos/Cintiq driver as I use my Intuos as the mouse (I like battery less, wireless mousey ^_^ ) After I have done this my Intuos and Cintiq 24HD work flawlessly. Then I install the latest Wacom Feel IT drivers and that gets the Surface Pro pen working.

Like I said, easy peasy ^_^

SurfaceProArtist

Thanks for your post, @DarkRubberNeck. I'm thinking of buying a Yiynova MVP22UHD V2 when it's available late next month and it will be good to know I can dedicate my original Surface Pro to it.

ikon

Why are you guys having trouble with this?? I find it extremely easy and I am using both a Surface Pro, a Wacom Intuos 4 and a Cintiq 24HD connected and working fine all at once O.o

Everything is connected to my surface pro through a nice usb 3.0 hub. My Intuos and Cintiq are both connected into the hub and the first thing I do with my factory setting Surface pro is plug the hub straight in.

Okay so the first thing I do when I install my computer is install the latest Wacom Intuos/Cintiq driver as I use my Intuos as the mouse (I like battery less, wireless mousey ^_^ ) After I have done this my Intuos and Cintiq 24HD work flawlessly. Then I install the latest Wacom Feel IT drivers and that gets the Surface Pro pen working.

Like I said, easy peasy ^_^

I don't think you read the OP carefully enough. He wants to connect the tablet to the Surface by using the USB port on the Power Supply. If you look at my earlier post (6 posts above) you'll see I already recommended a USB3 hub as an alternative, and even provided a link to one.

That said, I'm glad you posted, as it confirms that the Wacom devices do actually work, at least when connected in a more conventional manner :)

Edited by Ikon