RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 110, What do you think ?

diehard

Hi,

This week the news was light. Windows XP stops selling and Windows 7 has been out for 1 year.

We covered the Remote Alert add-in version 1.4 http://www.homeserverland.com/b/hslblog/archive/2010/10/27/add-in-update-remote-alert-1-4.aspx

Our special guest this week was Mike Faucher,(pcdoc) from BYOB, we were talking about the new 3TB drives. BYOB will cover these drive a bit more in depth on their next podcast.

Will you buy one now or wait until the dust and price settle down ?

Discuss it here http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/forum/30-hardware-talk/

Thanks,

Happy Holloween. :P

Hi Guys,

Great show, this really makes me wanna go out and get one of these SSD drives :rolleyes: I clearly see the benefits of having one of these in a laptop (speed, sound, battery life, shock sensitivity). My "work" laptop is now getting old, maybe I should ...

Hi,

Just finished listening to the Podcast on my way into the office. Great show guys.

Regarding the SSD section, this was really interesting. I have recently put together a HTPC under much guidance from Mike, HSS, and BYOB (thanks all). It runs a Core i3 4Gb ram and most importantly a OCZ 60Gb SSD. This was my first installation of Winows 7 and first use of Media Center, so I really did not have much of a "bench mark" to compare drive performance. However, lately I got fed up with Media Center and it's instability / limitations and went back to my old friend XBMC under Windows. Now for this I do have a comparison as I have used it with a standard HDD setup. The load times are brilliant. Even a cold boot to the front menu of XBMC is amazing at < 30 seconds. From sleep to watching a movie is as fast as any set-top box. (It's a lot quicker than my Satellite STB) This gives the whole set-up the feel of an "Appliance" which to be honest was my aim. It was weird at first not having any whiring or clicking sounds, just an eerie silence, perfect. The drive size limitations are no problem as I store all data on my WHS. Drive properties indicates @ 30% free space. Having listened carefuly to Mike on the show I may install a 1Tb HDD drive that I have got coming available in case I record any TV from my DVB-S2 card.

So for what it's worth, big thumbs up to SSD from me :D

Another great BYOB episode guys. What? That wasn't BYOB? You guys had me fooled for a minute there.

Thanks for all the great Info. you guys are providing on SSD drives. At this point I'm dying to get one and at the current price points for 30-60GB SSD's hopefully that day won't be far off. If I hadn't listened to this HSS ep and the BYOP ep you guys covered SSD's on I would definitely be struggling when I do get one because that was all new Info. to me.

John, Jim and Dave asked some really good questions on this ep. too. I think having these cross-over shows is really helpful because you guys often come at these topics from different angles. That helps the listeners because we get a more complete picture of the topics covered. So please keep that up. Maybe schedule this type of interaction in as a regular feature or event of your respective podcasts.

Glad I could help Dave, Jim, and John and have a great discussion on SSD's. They certainly are the future of computing. Stay tuned early next year for the new 500mbs versions which hopefully will drive prices down.

MB/sec? ;-)

/me is anal about units of measure

Typing too fastttttt. Good catch. Corrected MB/sec.

Typing too fastttttt. Good catch. Corrected MB/sec.

Hi great podcast, this podcast and the BYOB podcast mentioned setting the AHCI in the BIOS and the problems that can be caused. I made the mistake of not setting AHCI when I built my machine. I am not using an SSD at the moment, but do intend to when prices reach the magic point or I just impulse buy. I had the same problem as most, but when I researched there was a hotfix I could run. This resolved any problems and I didn't need to do the registry change, I think that's what the hotfix did. The down side is I didn't book mark the hotfix, so fat lot of good this post is!

definitely watching the price of 2TB drives, and waiting for Vail, at this rate I'll either be turning on folder duplication or buying a blue ray drive to justify the amount of storage I'm going to have.....

On a personal level the BYOB guys should be banned from the homeservershow podcast until Vail is RTM (available as OEM), otherwise I'm going to have spent all my money before then. It's hard enough with one show brainwashing me to build/upgrade.

On another note the show mentioned the newegg link, I'm in the UK so normally use ebuyer/dabs etc. Would happily click-through via your site if I had the opportunity

Michael