RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
CommonTek

Asus Drops Rt

CommonTek

So Asus has officially announced it will no longer release RT devices due to the paltry sales and adoption rate. I am not sure what to think. I think where is hurts is in the 7-8" game; I honestly felt that if someone could bring a quality device in that form factor for a great value that it was Asus. They have a history of making quality products with value price tags and have had great success in the 7-8" market with the nexus line. With Acer also previously considering dropping RT, I am worried about who is going to bring us the 8" device for RT. I know MS is allegedly working on a surface mini but will it run RT and can the they deliver on the value price point needed? They better because it sounds like they may be the only ones still willing to invest in their RT OS.

ikon

Oh dear. I was afraid of this, hoping it wouldn't happen. I am afraid this could be the beginning of the end for RT, but I hope it isn't.

ikon

Well, Asus is only 1 producer. Let's see if there is a domino effect or not.

WolfJT

MS says they are committed to RT and I really hope they are. If they could get companies to port their applications to Metro I think it would transform how people do computing and business. To me, the only thing lacking is VPN support and other business apps like go to meeting for instance. I love my Surface RT and for a first gen device it's outstanding. I think it's going to come down to MS paying some vendors to create apps. Maybe a little less money spent on advertising and more on APP dev would go a long way. I am really weary though about RT 8.1. It has so many bugs and there is so little time before it RTMs. They MUST get this right.

Dok

I like my RT for it's light weight and battery life. I wonder though if RT will be necessary if full Windows will run on devices with similar size and battery life?