RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WD 3T Update

pcdoc

As discussed in the upcoming HSS and BYOB podcasts, the WD 3t worked well in W7 and Vail so based on suggestions from Dave, I tried it in a USB enclosure. Did not recognize correctly and it would not partition as full capacity. Great idea but no cigar.

Any specific enclosure? I've got one of those Simple Save HP external enclosures laying around somewhere that I would like to try it with. Just can't part with those kind of funds for a simple test! I'm betting that most all of the externals out there today won't recognize it. Just a guess though.

I would suspect that an older USB enclosure might not recognize it while an e-Sata enclosure might see it with no issues. Like Dave said, hard to part with funds just to confirm a hunch.

Update:

LaCie is now offering a 3TB external:

You guys mentioned initializing 3 TB HDDs as Basic Disks (versus GPT disks). And you were wondering, after Disk Management recognized 2.19 TB's, if it's possible to partition and format the remaining space? I can't answer that directly, as I don't own a 3 TB drive yet, but I believe the answer is no. Tell you why. A couple days ago, I set up (2) 2 TB drives in RAID 0 which resulted in a ~3.8 TB drive. When I booted up and ran Disk Management, I had the option of initializing the RAID drive as GPT but instead chose Basic Disk. The RAID drive initialized as having two sections - 2.19 TB + 1.6 TB. I partitioned and quick formatted the entire 2.19 TB section. When I attempted to partition the 1.7 TB section, I could not as the option was grayed out. I'm guessing this is what would happen if one were to initialize a 3 TB HDD as Basic Disk.

Will I buy one? Not until they drop about $100 or so in price. But the thought of a server loaded with 3 TB drives is tempting.

Dave,

The USB enclosure I used was a Thermaltake 5G USB 3.0.

DVN,

That is pretty interesting, did not think of exceeding the 2.2T limit using RAID but it makes sense. I think I would agree with your statement about not being able to use the balance unless you format as a GPT drive. It is working so well in Vail that I can not wait to get more of them. I thing the sweet spot for me based on value is closer to $159 as we will not see them at $100 for quite some time especially if they keep sending that silly controller board with it as that drives the cost up a bit. I am watching the sales and hope that they start appearing soon. I have a vision of putting together 15-20T in a mid tower case and this would let me do it. I am starting to collect hardware for Vail so I will be ready when it hits release. You have been the goto guy for raid lately, first SSD's, now 2T caviars. You are my hero.

Ha. The knowledge I have of RAID you could fit in a thimble. Ok, perhaps a Dixie cup. But yes, I am having some fun with it. Something I did not think of was to create a 2 TB RAID0 (instead of using the total capacity of the two drives as I did) and then see if I could create another RAID 0/1 which I believe is what Intel supports with Matrix. Then boot up and see if I can use both partitions.

By the way, that RAID0 config has been broken up and the drives are now back in my Vail and MSS servers.