RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help! Google Is Seducing Me...

CommonTek

So the nexus 7 has been my closet attraction since it came out, the value is insane and honestly the stock Android experience without crap overlays is awesome.  The new 2013 looks great and I am considering a purchase. I love my RT but it has turned into a mostly consumption device and just like Dave has said in the past it can get bulky when on the couch.  I am an Android phone user as well and as much as I wish I could move to WP8, I just love my HTC One too much.  The price of 229 for 16Gb, or 269 for 32gb is almost too good to pass up.  I am thinking they will drop to 199 and 239 at Xmas so I may wait but seriously my impulses are firing.  If there was a 7" tablet running just RT, I would jump at it assuming the price was sub $300 but I don't see that and as we know, RT may be in serious trouble.

Please, help me out.  I feel I have been cursed with some spell.  What does everyone else think?

The Nexus 7 looks appealing, at first. I personally don't like Android on a tablet. I have two of them and after time, (and not much time) they become bogged down and run very slow. My Transformer is almost useless and it's a little older than a year. I think everyone should wait to see the Surface mini that will be coming out in the fall. At least I'm assuming it will be. Not to mention the Mini Windows 8 tablets running Haswell. That could be very appealing. I have a Galaxy S3 for work and a HTC 8X windows phone for personal use. I like the Windows phone environment much better on a phone. I like Google now, I think that's cool, but the ease and integration of Windows Phone 8 is superior on a phone. Of course this is just my opinion.  

I totally get the speed issue but for as often as I like to turn over devices, ideally annually, I could totally justify doing so at that price point and in my experience with Android devices that is about the marker.

I have to say 4.3 sounds like a huge improvement. The performance degradation had a lot to do with the storage workflows not fully removing the file and consumed storage space. 4.3 includes trim settings that take care of that. Everything I have read it's that 4.3 had revived the old nexus 7 for most people but time will tell.

Unfortunately, with today's market, there's no time to flush out issues like this before release which, of course, is what really should happen.

Just use what works best for what you want.  I found a nice Kindle Fire HD 7 inch tablet fits a lot of space that my Surface Pro cannot - it is smaller, easier to hold, and allows reading books and watching movies just fine.  However, I've never felt RT was a good niche - too expensive, too big and too limited compared to the Pro while more viable alternatives exist.

For me, I bring the Surface Pro and Kindle Fire on trips, and I'm happy that I don't have to bring a monster laptop anymore. 

I would hold right now.  You have heard that this size device is coming to Windows soon.  Also, I have a Nexus 7 32 GB and my wife and I both agree that it is really the worst device in the house.  I have many issues with it and it really lacks some attention to detail.  I think it is good for playing movies and stuff, but it really seems like it is lacking.  I don't have a Kindle Fire, but I have to think that it would be a better experience as the Google Play Store seems blah.  I again would say hold off for a few months if you can, otherwise you can always get one to see what you think and sell it after the Windows ones come.  Just my opinion.

I want to wait but MS murdered the resale market with the massive drop of RT and I would expect that to happen again around XMAS. Who knows, there may bundle with one of the XBOX iterations for only 150 more just to move inventory out. I have friends that swear by their Nexus 7, friends that hate it but that goes for IOS and W8 too. Also, we have heard that a surface mini is coming but I would have thought by now we would have heard more. Plus we have already seen full W8 on a 7" instead of the obvious rt installation, so how do we know OEM's will even want to put rt on a smaller device? I don't know that MS can (or should) invest in a mini when they took a near 1 billion dollar hit on surface already and the OEM's are also bashing rt; unless they blow up WP8 but I doubt they have enough time to do so.  I plan to wait, but MS isn't making it easy (and I am wildly impulsive as my wife could angrily attest ).

So, there is a difference between a write down and a write off....

http://www.finweb.com/taxes/write-off-vs-write-down.html#axzz2aZwSmp00

Writing Off the Asset

If you write off your assets, you will effectively be throwing them away. You will be telling the IRS that the asset is no longer valuable in any from. This can be true if you have galloping losses on your stocks, but it may be the case that you are too eager to discard something which is no longer performing well.

Write Down the Asset

In order to write down the asset, you should reduce the estimated value of the item. This is usually done because the asset is over-graded, and is no longer sell-able at the higher price. The asset is written down to sell it off.

Yes I understand it was a wrote down not a wrote off but it means the same to the public, failure. Oh and not just the public, OEMs too. If the primary hardware and software provider can so massively miss the mark on projections, how the hell am I as Asus or Acer, or anyone else willing to trust your projections and support an ecosystem that all indicators point to flop.  Also, the financial impact of surface failing pales in comparison to the PR impact its has on the eyes of the consumer.  Tech sites have been against MS for years (unjustly) but now they have a smoking gun that most average consumers recognize.