RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Pocketsneak

New Rt Owner, Disable Windows Defender?

Pocketsneak

Hello everyone, I am a new Surface RT owner, just picked up the 64 gig with type cover.. I'm liking it so far minus the minor light leakage I have at the bottom of the screen "I guess some leakage is normal"  my question is I have seen a ton of videos showing how fast apps and whatnot load with windows defender disabled..  I know you need to change your registry to do it.  I have found some limited instructions however they use terms as "take possession of key" and I wondered if anyone here may be able to do a walkthru of how to do this.

ikon

Are you sure you want to do that? It is the major anti-malware feature on the RT. Just sayin....

Pocketsneak

It gives you up to a 10% bump in loading performance as well.

ikon

I don't think I would give up malware protection for a performance boost.

pfinter

I thought of doing the same thing for the performance boost. However, I agree with Ikon, I would rather have the malware protection. Malware protection is more important than a 10% performance boost.  IMO

CommonTek

I thought of doing the same thing for the performance boost. However, I agree with Ikon, I would rather have the malware protection. Malware protection is more important than a 10% performance boost.  IMO

Especially when that small boost disappears and instead goes to a 25% performance decrease after infection.

Pocketsneak

Not to worried about infection as the only programs that can be really installed are from the Windows Store which are all screened.

So basically Windows Defender is mostly pointless on an RT

ikon

Do you sincerely believe that? Seriously?

Any time you use IE to browse the internet, you're taking a risk of malware getting into your RT. Now, ATM, it's not likely that there are too many viruses or other exploits targeted at WinRT, but I expect that will change.

Think about it: do your really think MS included Defender with RT because they don't think it is, or will, be needed?

Pocketsneak

I think it's a left over item from the strip down from proper windows 8 to the RT format nothing more.

I guess what i'm trying to say as it stands the surface rt has a less chance of getting malware then the ipad does.

ikon

That may be true at the moment, but I think it's only because RT isn't that popular, yet.

• Like 1