RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need advice for new system drive

zeeke

Hi

I recently had a 2TB Western drive die on me with a pretty hefty loss of data since i didn't have duplication on for my Movies. Thing is after this I have done checks on all my drives and my system drive is down to 0% Fitness SMART status. I need to replace it NOW. a couple of questions:

1: Is there a way to replace the system drive without having duplication on for all Shares without loosing data?

2: Is there a way to not have the system drive as part of the storage pool when I add a new drive

3: How do I go about replacing it if I have everything duplicated and use BDBB for the backups, can I just pull the drive and do a clean install?

zeeke

Hi

I recently had a 2TB Western drive die on me with a pretty hefty loss of data since i didn't have duplication on for my Movies. Thing is after this I have done checks on all my drives and my system drive is down to 0% Fitness SMART status. I need to replace it NOW. a couple of questions:

1: Is there a way to replace the system drive without having duplication on for all Shares without loosing data?

2: Is there a way to not have the system drive as part of the storage pool when I add a new drive

3: How do I go about replacing it if I have everything duplicated and use BDBB for the backups, can I just pull the drive and do a clean install?

zeeke

zeeke,

1. If you replace the system drive without duplication you "amy" loose data.

2. Not on Version 1 WHS

3. Pretty much as you described it. Duplicate, offload the backups to an external drive, put a new drive in, and do a server "Re-install"