RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
  • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• SpivR
      By SpivR
      This probably deserves it's own thread but I'm not sure where it should go...

Just visited CEDIA 2017 in San Diego and one of the HOTTEST products just announced (and that I hadn't heard about before the show) is the new Netgear wireless IP Camera.

The folks that do the popular ARLO camera have a new line called FlexPower that uses the same physical packaging but is a completely separate system.

The FlexPower is a battery operated (rechargeable) wireless IP Camera that is fully ONVIF compatible.

It is a very clever system where a "base station" provides the ONVIF interface and controls multiple wireless cameras.  The cameras themselves are motion-activated, but the base station makes it all transparent to standard ONVIF systems.

Looking forward to seeing these when they ship at the end of October.

If it works smoothly with 3rd party NVR systems (like Blue Iris and SecuritySpy, etc.) this could be a real game changer - the benefits of a wireless/battery-powered camera connected to a standard back-end NVR.

https://www.netgear.com/about/press-releases/2017/ONVIF-COMPLIANT-SECURITY-CAMERA.aspx
    • Dave
      By Dave
      We know all about Surface Pro specs now but we won't be able to get our hands on one until sometime in January. Hmmm. I'm very curious about the battery life of 4 hours. Is this like gas mileage and may "vary" according to use or is this an average? My guess, it's best case scenario.

I'm not surprised as this is just a touch laptop but dang. Only four? I wonder what our reaction would have been at 5 or 6 maybe? Six, no brainer. Five, there still would have been complainers.

Does 4 hours make your mind up?
    • mierdavid
      By mierdavid
      So far, I love my Surface Pro...that is until I read an article about what happens when you need a repair and your warranty has run out.

Microsoft's policy is to not repair any of these (and given the iFixit teardown...I don't blame them). They will sell you a (possibly refurbished) surface pro for a bargain price of $469 (or $449 if you use the website; $469 if you talk to someone). I verified this with a MS chat and got the same info. That's it....

Need a new battery...$469!
      SSD fails...$469!

This seems ridiculous. I'm trying to figure out if I'm just cheap and this is just the way things are these days (throwaway PCs) or if Microsoft has designed this all wrong (gluing the battery in, 90 screws, etc.). It would be one thing if they let you buy the latest Surface for this price...that I could jump behind. But getting a possible refurb, where the battery may die in 4 months....you get to fork out another $469.

If you like the pro enough to overlook this issue, I would at least buy the microsoft complete for $149 (of $99 at MS store). Bear in mind you have to pay $50 for each incident.

What would you do? Would you take back your pro and vote with your dollars? Or keep it and cross your fingers?

(Thanks, I'm using this forum as a check to see if my emotions are out of line with logic.)
    • TheJason
      By TheJason
      I'm looking for an app that will show battery status in a live tile on the start screen.  Does anybody know of one, or want to create one?
    • mysterysh33p
      By mysterysh33p
      Hello everyone!

I'm not sure if this is in the correct category but I wanted to share my thoughts and current dilema and see if I can get some feedback or recommendations.

I'm currently on the hunt for an external battery that will work for the surface pro 1. I've done some research and found a cord and purchased it after reading up on other blogs and forums.

Now I am looking for the battery itself. I'm looking for something that will give it about 4 more hours of battery life. I'm using the surface pro as my portable solution to digital drawing at conventions instead of having to bring my laptop and large pen display. I love the battery life it currently has, but adding 4 more hours or so will make it so I can cut costs on paying extra for electricity (on top of the fee for the table) at conventions and faires.

The requirements for the cable to work would be DC12V 3.6A. I'm sort of tech savvy when it comes to computer software but electrical and hardware are not my strongest points.

I've spent days looking for a battery but I also have a limited budget and can't afford to spend hundreds on a unit.

Here's a list of some batteries I found, would anyone be able to tell me if they would work? If not what would you recommend?

OXA Metal Box S1

NewNow Multifunction Power Bank

Anker 2nd Gen Astro Pro2

I would like know if anyone currently has a solution for their battery bank needs and would like to hear from you! Mind you I'm not very savvy with electrical modding so any simple solutions would be great to hear.