RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
JohnTW

My Apps: A.k.a. Let's Get More Apps Listed Here!

JohnTW

So I have spent a good $20-$30 on apps for my new Windows Phone 8 (Samsung Ativ S). Mainly to try various clients out for podcasting and Twitter, but also to encourage developers to keep trying new things and most importantly to update their apps. I avoided apps not updated in 2013, and focused on those update in the last few months.

• +Flashlight: It gets the job done. It is rarely used but nice to have when it is needed.
  • 6Sec: On iOS/Android I dumped Vine once Instagram got video integration. I will probably do the same if and when we get an official Instagram client on WP8. But for now, this app makes finding and watching Vines a pleasant experience. Better than any other platform IMO.
  • Battery: Just using to get the hang of my new phone's battery. Works well and lets you toggle reporting periods and alerts. Give it a try if you want to gauge daily usage and see what is going on.
  • Instance: Almost as good as a real Instagram client. No reason to complain it is not yet on the platform. Works great for me!
  • MetroTalk: Since I recently ported my number to Google Voice, I couldn't live without this app on the platform. It literally is my dialer and SMS client all the time. It syncs with contacts so you can even force the People app to use MetroTalk as the dialer (via clicking a link from the contact details). It is nearly flawless as appears to be actively worked on.
  • Metrotube: I was just going to use the silly "official" Microsoft app currently on the store, until I found this. I prefer HD (which this app can force), and the ability to see my subscriptions directly on launch is a super plus. I treat my subscriptions like my Twitter feed, I want see them all. I wish it kept playing in the background. (I am spoiled by Hyper on Windows 8/RT).
  • NBC News: Blown away by the quality of this app. Great photos and videos tied with solid articles. Breaking News alerts are relevant and not overwhelming like other apps. The built in text-to-voice is a nice to have feature I actually find myself using. Beautiful design and a great live tile!
  • Pandora: I use Xbox Music full time now (I recently subscribed) but this is my favorite Pandora client across all platforms. Very functional and visually appealing.
  • Read Later: I don't use it much on the phone, as my Twitter app supports saving to Pocket directly. But it is nice to be able to send anything to the service with a copy/paste. And to find things I saved earlier on the phone, on my tablet, or various desktops. Not a pretty app, but it works.
  • Podcast Picker. Wow... just wow! Not as great as Instacast (iOS) or PocketCasts (Android) but it gets the job done. No syncing :( so if I get a new phone I need to re-add all my feeds, but other than that... I use it multiple times a day. Other apps were not appealing to me, or had strange playback bugs. Not this app. A solid Podcast Player is probably at the top of my must have list. Because of this and the next app, I am staying on WP8.
  • Rowi: I almost lost hope after trying every other Twitter app. I need to be able to quickly save to Pocket, this allows me to with two clicks! Most importantly, I NEED to see my whole Timeline as I used Twitter for news and I like to read it in chronological order. I prefer not to miss anything. No other app remembers my position and loads all tweets without kicking me out of my last read location. Well done, Rowi, well done. Tweets and Podcasts are why I love to use a smartphone (outside of email). Rowi makes me VERY happy to use my phone.
  • Vevo: Great quality streaming and on demand music videos. It works perfectly and only lacks login support (so I can sync my favorite artists/videos). I only wish it kept playing in the background.

The number one reason for me to love this platform is the amazing, truly amazing, Exchange Active Sync support via the built in mail client. I actually enjoy keeping up with work email. The client and its integration with Calendar and People apps make this THE platform for Exchange email on the go, IMO.

Attached is my current home screen, below it are (the lesser used) medium live tiles for NBC News, Flixster, and small tiles for Games, Google, Relax Melodies Premium (I like rain to fall asleep to), Read Later, with the last row being medium Settings and Store tiles.

I'll update this posts with more apps as I find them, and will do the same for my favorite Windows RT apps.

What do you use?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• SpivR
      By SpivR
      This probably deserves it's own thread but I'm not sure where it should go...

Just visited CEDIA 2017 in San Diego and one of the HOTTEST products just announced (and that I hadn't heard about before the show) is the new Netgear wireless IP Camera.

The folks that do the popular ARLO camera have a new line called FlexPower that uses the same physical packaging but is a completely separate system.

The FlexPower is a battery operated (rechargeable) wireless IP Camera that is fully ONVIF compatible.

It is a very clever system where a "base station" provides the ONVIF interface and controls multiple wireless cameras.  The cameras themselves are motion-activated, but the base station makes it all transparent to standard ONVIF systems.

Looking forward to seeing these when they ship at the end of October.

If it works smoothly with 3rd party NVR systems (like Blue Iris and SecuritySpy, etc.) this could be a real game changer - the benefits of a wireless/battery-powered camera connected to a standard back-end NVR.

https://www.netgear.com/about/press-releases/2017/ONVIF-COMPLIANT-SECURITY-CAMERA.aspx
    • Dave
      By Dave
      We know all about Surface Pro specs now but we won't be able to get our hands on one until sometime in January. Hmmm. I'm very curious about the battery life of 4 hours. Is this like gas mileage and may "vary" according to use or is this an average? My guess, it's best case scenario.

I'm not surprised as this is just a touch laptop but dang. Only four? I wonder what our reaction would have been at 5 or 6 maybe? Six, no brainer. Five, there still would have been complainers.

Does 4 hours make your mind up?
    • mierdavid
      By mierdavid
      So far, I love my Surface Pro...that is until I read an article about what happens when you need a repair and your warranty has run out.

Microsoft's policy is to not repair any of these (and given the iFixit teardown...I don't blame them). They will sell you a (possibly refurbished) surface pro for a bargain price of $469 (or $449 if you use the website; $469 if you talk to someone). I verified this with a MS chat and got the same info. That's it....

Need a new battery...$469!
      SSD fails...$469!

This seems ridiculous. I'm trying to figure out if I'm just cheap and this is just the way things are these days (throwaway PCs) or if Microsoft has designed this all wrong (gluing the battery in, 90 screws, etc.). It would be one thing if they let you buy the latest Surface for this price...that I could jump behind. But getting a possible refurb, where the battery may die in 4 months....you get to fork out another $469.

If you like the pro enough to overlook this issue, I would at least buy the microsoft complete for $149 (of $99 at MS store). Bear in mind you have to pay $50 for each incident.

What would you do? Would you take back your pro and vote with your dollars? Or keep it and cross your fingers?

(Thanks, I'm using this forum as a check to see if my emotions are out of line with logic.)
    • TheJason
      By TheJason
      I'm looking for an app that will show battery status in a live tile on the start screen.  Does anybody know of one, or want to create one?
    • mysterysh33p
      By mysterysh33p
      Hello everyone!

I'm not sure if this is in the correct category but I wanted to share my thoughts and current dilema and see if I can get some feedback or recommendations.

I'm currently on the hunt for an external battery that will work for the surface pro 1. I've done some research and found a cord and purchased it after reading up on other blogs and forums.

Now I am looking for the battery itself. I'm looking for something that will give it about 4 more hours of battery life. I'm using the surface pro as my portable solution to digital drawing at conventions instead of having to bring my laptop and large pen display. I love the battery life it currently has, but adding 4 more hours or so will make it so I can cut costs on paying extra for electricity (on top of the fee for the table) at conventions and faires.

The requirements for the cable to work would be DC12V 3.6A. I'm sort of tech savvy when it comes to computer software but electrical and hardware are not my strongest points.

I've spent days looking for a battery but I also have a limited budget and can't afford to spend hundreds on a unit.

Here's a list of some batteries I found, would anyone be able to tell me if they would work? If not what would you recommend?

OXA Metal Box S1

NewNow Multifunction Power Bank

Anker 2nd Gen Astro Pro2

I would like know if anyone currently has a solution for their battery bank needs and would like to hear from you! Mind you I'm not very savvy with electrical modding so any simple solutions would be great to hear.