RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Random Power Offs

JohnTW

Does anyone find there WP8 device is powered down (off) when they left in on for several hours (overnight)? My 4-day old Samsung Ativ S turn itself off overnight, while it was left off the charger.

* I have read that multiple Windows Phone 8 devices from various manufactures and carries can experience this issue.

I've had one power off experience since getting the Lumia 928. Using a twitter app and accidentally opening some french website completely reset the phone. Hung a moment, powered off.  Have never come up to it in a powered off state like you explain.

The other posts seem to be closer to the launch of the platform back in late 2012. I'll see if it happens again. My battery app tells be it happened about 6:20am and I slept in until about 8:20am, so it was only off two hours or so.

I just started to experience random poweroffs starting about a month ago. I can't seem to pin down what exactly I am doing that causes it. Often when I pull it out of my pocket I find it has powered off. A few times I heard the phone vibrate as I set it on the table. I check and sure enough it is off. I have a Verizon HTC 8x

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      By: JohnStutsman

Figure 1 – Preparing to install new 64GB of RAM

I upgrade the stock 8GB to 64GB of RAM in the HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 using 4 DIMMs (“Sticks”) of Kingston KVR21E15D8/16.

Figure 2 – Kingston KVR21E15D8/16

Figure 3 – 64GB RAM about to be installed in HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9

Figure 4 – HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 – System Board Components & Memory “Type” requirement from “QuickSpecs” – DIMMs removal & installation instructions from “Maintenance & Service Guide” (see links in References below)

Figure 5 – HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 – Memory & DDR4 memory population guidelines from “QuickSpecs” (see links in References below)

I upgraded to 64GB of RAM in my HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 using Kingston KVR21E15D8/16 from Newegg. The KVR21E15D8/16 was suggested by Schoondoggy on the forum thread RAM for ML30 Gen9.

Video 1 – 64GB RAM in HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9.

Figure 6 – View of the four new DIMMs installed for 64GB of RAM. Time to replace the air baffle, tower bezel, and side panel then hook up the ML30 Gen9 and see if it works!

Figure 7 – IT WORKS! Screen during first post showing 64GB RAM - for the first time!  Thank you Schoondoggy!!

Figure 8 – System Summary Information showing 64GB RAM installed

Figure 9 – System Information with Installed Physical Memory (64GB RAM) Highlighted

Figure 10 – Task Manager showing 64GB of DDR4.

Figure 11 – iLO4 System Information – Memory Information showing four 16GB DIMMs installed.  Status is "Good, In Use".

Figure 12 – Temperatures appear well within range while system fan speed was a consistent 6% - BIOS set to Optimal Cooling (Note that the two 40mm fans in the Icy Dock ToughArmor MB994SP-4SB-1 were also running).

Figure 13 – HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 running with 64GB RAM and using 30.1 Watts. Everything seems to be working well – time to think about adding more drives and turn on Hyper-V!!

As-Built (I named my Computer: Serenity)
      HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 (Product No. 830893) Xeon E3-1240v5 (SkyLake LGA 1151) 64GB ECC RAM – Kingston KVR21E15D8/16 OS: Windows 10 Pro B140i Dynamic Smart Array: Ports 1-4: (4*3.5” Drive Tray Caddies for Main Drive-Cage Assembly Bays 1-4) B140i Dynamic Smart Array: Ports 5-6: Icy Dock MB994SP-4SB-1 in Top 5.25” half-height Bay; with/ 2*18” SATA III (6 Gb/s) cables attached to Bays 1 & 2 (Bays 3 & 4 are available for future); Molex to Molex & Fan Y-Connector Cable; Samsung 840 Pro 256GB in Bay 1;  

Please join us in the HomeServerShow Forums to discuss this and tell us what you are building at home.

Reference:

RAM for ML30 Gen9 http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14807-ram-for-ml30-gen9/

ValueRAM Decoder https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/valueram/valueram_decoder

ValueRAM KVR21E15D8/16 Specs Sheet http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR21E15D8_16.pdf

Check HSS Forum Post: Other HSS ML30 Blog Postings: http://homeservershow.com/tag/ML30

HomeServerShow Forum for ML10’s & ML30’s http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/forum/98-ml10-and-ml10v2/

HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 Server Maintenance & Service Guide http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c04905980-1.pdf

HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 Server QuickSpecs http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04834998&doctype=quickspecs&doclang=EN_US&searchquery=&cc=us&lc=en
    • Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      At idle I'm seeing a power requirement of about 29.7W with my current configuration:
      HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 BETA 
      32GB RAM (2 x KVR24E17D8/16) Windows 10 Pro x64 with HyperV enabled OS Drive: SATA Port 5 – Samsung 840 Pro 256GB located in ODD bay Data Drive: SATA Port 6 – WL500GLSA8100 500GB 10K RPM 2.5” HDD mounted on revised SDM 3.5 that I mounted on side of PSU Data Drive: SATA Ports 1&2 in SW RAID0 2 x WD3000HLHX in drive bays 1&2 Data Drive: SATA Ports 3&4 in SW RAID1 2 x 2.5” WD10JVCX Red Drives in Icy Dock’s EZConvert’s in drive bays 3&4 Main Monitor attached with HDMI cable via : Passive “4K DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI Adapter by Benfei DP Display Port to HDMI UHD 2K 3D Audio and Video Converter Male to Female Gold-Plated Cord” https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VV26BLB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 2nd Monitor attached with HDMI cable via: “Active DisplayPort to HDMI 4K Adapter, Benfei DP to HDMI Ultra HD Converter”   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5DX296/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 3rd Monitor attached to VGA Port Misc. Cables: 2 SATAIII, Dell MX714 Floppy FDD to SATA Power Converter Cable, SATA Power to two SATA Power Y splitter cable SDM 3.5 (revised) MicroSoft wireless Keyboard & Mouse

• ColinBrough
      By ColinBrough
      I've a N36L Proliant Microserver that has been happily sitting on a shelf doing NAS type stuff since 2011. I was away last week, and came back to it dead. It now won't switch on at all. No lights, no flickers of LEDs when power on switch pressed, nothing - so no real diagnostics! Checked fuse, checked mains power, all OK.

I'm presuming its a blown PSU - is that a good guess?

And, given the age of the machine, I'm suspecting it is likely to be best to simply replace it with a Gen8 replacement rather than faffing around trying to replace a PSU (which may or may not be the cause of the failure). Or is it worth trying to salvage?

(I'm hoping the disks in the machine survived the failure - there's a 6TB WD Green, a 2TB WD Green, a 250GB Seagate and a 750GB Samsung in there at the moment. Running XUbunutu.)
    • JohnTW
      By JohnTW
      tl;dr
      I just packed up my AT&T LG Optimus G Pro to sell because I love my Samsung Ativ S Windows Phone 8.

I am on my fourth phone in 2013. I started with the iPhone 5 (which I got at launch in 2012), left iOS behind for Android when I got the LG Nexus 4, and went big with the LG Optimus G Pro. I was falling in love with Android, and wanted LTE and a larger screen. However, I got bored quickly. Even after trying skins, themes, launchers, icon packs, etc... Something didn't feel right. There is nothing standout to explain my experience, but to ponder if Android and the endless customizations were too much for me.

I was attracted to Windows Phone 8, but always found the Lumias either too heavy/bulky (920) or screens too small and lacking power (820). The HTC 8X was very compelling in early 2013, but feels dated now due to the HTC One truly showing what the vendor can do. Never a fan of Samsung, they are growing on me. I replaced my iPad mini, Nexus 7 and Asus Vivo Tab Smart with a Samsung Ativ Tab (Windows RT, Snapdragon S4) tablet. I love the device, so I gave the Ativ S phone a try.

Blown away. Lightest phone I recall owning and every holding. Plastic is there, but it is unique with the style and texture. This is my first Super AMOLED HD display (AMOLED of any kind actually) and the colors truly do pop on Windows Phone 8. Buttons are responsive and work as desired. I prefer hardware Windows buttons to capacitive. It feels fairly fast and capable. No bloatware as it was an unlocked version sold to be by an importer on Amazon offering Prime shipping Although it came seal in the factory box with a EU charger, they included the US adapter separately outside the primary packaging.

Windows Phone 8 is what I need in a phone. Superb Exchange integration, trumping all other OS and platforms. (I also enjoy Exchange Active Sync on Windows RT Mail (8.0) and Outlook RT (10.1). Outlook.com email works equally well, and I have my Gmail account setup for both send and receive via my Outlook.com account. Samsung included some apps, that were easily removed and didn't add much value.

All together I have installed the following apps (and purchased paid version when available):
      AccuWeather (perfect small live tile to report current temp) Amazon Kindle Amazon Mobile Battery (great small live tile with nice reports/reminders) Blink Facebook Fandango (not needed thanks to Bing but nice to purchase tix) Flixster (there for trailers) Games: Jetpack Joyride Shuffle Party Wordament Light Guide Here Drive Here Maps Instance (not a bad version on Instagram) Level MetroTalk (I use Google Voice and this is perfect for calls/texts via my Google Voice number) Metrotube (I love it so far!) Microsoft Store NC News (gorgeous live tile and lock screen images) Netflix (so-so quality) Network Speed Test (using an iPhone provision SIM from my work phone, no LTE but getting 10Mbps/1Mbps on average on AT&T) OneNote OpenTable Pandora (very nice app) Photo Editor (only Samsung app I left installed) Photogram (Samsung app I downloaded to add filters and such) Photsynth pod.ding (not a bad podcast app at all, and for a heavy user, it gets it done) Read Later (wish it would fully integrate into a "Share" panel for Pocket sharing from any app) RedLaser Relax Melodies Premium (great for my rain sounds I like to fall asleep too) SkyDrive Skype TeamViewer (access home/work PCs from anywhere) Translator (Bing) TweeterLight (not perfect, but MeTweets wouldn't pull to refresh well) Unit Converter Vevo (decent quality compared to Netflix) Windows Phone Insider (nice to get some wallpaper and ringtone options easily) YouTube (useless official app, hoping for a real update) First day I was worried about battery life. After a full charge and discharge cycle, day 2 is much better. I came off the charger at 8:54AM, 46% battery left, and 6 hours and 40 minutes reported remaining via Battery. I can live with that type of battery. I use bluetooth in the car with my Ford Sync (works very well and seems to support every feature). I also use bluetooth at home with my various wireless speakers. It speaks just as well as iOS devices, and way better than Android which could tend to skip during WiFi use.

I wanted to start this thread with the above thoughts. More to come!

• math
      By math
      With "disable display scaling on High DPI" checked in the app properties, Flash CC 2014 is unusable on the Surface Pro 1. Attached is a screenshot, basically everything inaccessible with all windows. All content is pushed far to the right no matter how large you make the windows, it just goes further away.

I can't find other complaints about this issue. Does anyone else even use Flash?