RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How Do I Make The Most Out Of My Rt's Battery?

momojes

Airplane mode.  While commuting on the bus, in the office during meetings while taking notes or just reading a book, I use airplane mode to keep from being interrupted AND save battery life.

Additionally, I dim the display too.

I generally don't run my tablet until the battery is out, so I can't honestly say. I've read that it's better not to do that with Lithium Ion batteries as that decreases their performance in the long term.  I generally top it off every night.

How I use my tablet from day to day changes depending on the meeting schedule at work and my home schedule. I'm not usually using it non-stop. So, I usually, I have half a charge or more left on the RT by the end of the day. However, on those days when I forget to recharge the tablet and I start with only half a charge, I generally don't have a problem getting through my day without needing to plug the tablet in.

You are absolutely correct pfinter: Li-ion batteries love to be kept charged up. You should keep them on charge as much as possible. It's possible to double the lifespan of the batteries if they are kept from draining down too much. Topping off every night is a great practice.

• 2 weeks later...

Keeping your battery between 20% and 80% is the best. The top and bottom 20% are destructive to the battery and will lower it's lifetime. Dimming the screen and keeping all radio are great for getting more time between each charge. Not allowing apps to run in the background and closing apps instead of switching between them might also help some. 

I will certainly agree about the bottom 20%, but I'm going to disagree about the top 20%. I've seen this idea a couple of times in the past year. It does not match up with my own experience at all, nor with a study I read some time ago by a couple of university doctoral candidates (at UCLA I think but might have been another university).

I keep my Li-ion batteries on charge as much as possible and I get more battery lifetime than everyone I know. At work, colleagues start complaining that their company-supplied phones wont keep their charge after only a couple of years of use. Mine always last at least 3 years, and usually 4 years or more. I put my phones on charge every night on my bedside table.

I also think it's pretty impractical to try to keep batteries charge to 80%. How would that be accomplished? Topping batteries up overnight is very practical, and IMHO, very effective.