RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
sarraz752

Cubic News, A Great New Free App.

sarraz752

Hi guys,

I wasn't entirely sure this was the proper place to say this, so if its not, I apologize in advance. 
Several partners and I have just finished developing a new app and we wanted input from anyone willing. This includes advice and tips for improvement as well recommendations on how to generate buzz.

We strive to make Cubic News a free Windows 8 app that provides breath-taking news of the highest quality along with images of similar quality. Major themes and topics include but not limited to financial news, sports news, global news and tech news. It features three ideal settings for delivering content and allows the user to swiftly look through breaking news or to slowly peruse topics.

Cubic News

We decided to not use the standard pre packaged layouts because we found them rather tawdry and overused, so we decided to make our own interface with different transitions.

sarraz752

We have made sweeping new updates to the app. We have increased the both the frame rate of transitions and made design changes to improve the look of the interface. We are currently working to get a license with Reuters to improve the news quality and we are working on various improvements to include personalization. The new release is now available to download and as always free.

sarraz752

still waiting for your input guys

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I just searched for it and it didn't show up. I am on my windows phone so is this tablet only.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

I just searched for it and it didn't show up. I am on my windows phone so is this tablet only.

I think tapatalk just had a problem.

ikon

I really don't use my tablet for reading news, so I'm not in the target demographic.

pfinter

I've downloaded the app and looked at it.

One of the biggest issues I have is that fact that the app doesn't follow the WinRT app design.

To configure which of the 3 views presented to me for viewing the news, I don't drag from the bottom or the top, I have to select one of three little black and white icons (this is awkward when coming from other WinRT apps.) When I select one I'm presented an animation of the three icons re-positioning themselves placing the current view on top. Sorry, I found this awkward and slow. Don't know why you would want to re-position the icons as the user now has to remember which one they like or dislike. I would quit moving them if I were building this app. The other option is to swipe left or right to change the view. Not sure why you would want to switch views this way either. This is also confusing.

my favorite view was the one where I could filter the category of news  to be displayed. However, my second favorite was the one with the news summary. A combination of these would be the best.

This is a nice start but I would really suggest that you reconsider how you configure which view to use.

Also, I'm not partial to the title bar. On a tablet, this eats a between a 10th and an 8th of the screen. with a black and grey nothingness next to a black bezel of the device.

3/4 mode of viewing seems to be ok but, the 1/4 view doesn't work well. I can't scroll stories either way and I can't select them either (also, the pictures are replaced with a black text title.

Good luck!