RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What Are Your Impressions Of Win 8.1?

WolfJT

I'm interested in what people think of Win/RT 8.1. My first impressions are positive. I like the new search feature, the lock screen enhancements, outlooks addition. The additional tile sizes as a plus..

Edited by WolfJT

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running RT 8.1 on a Yoga 11. I'm loving the update. My favorite part is the update to Internet Explorer (metro). Web pages are loading much faster and having unlimited tabs is great. I've been playing around with saving articles I want to reread to Reading List too which is kind of cool. All the other features are great too. Overall I'm very happy with many of the fixes and updates

Seems fairly buggy on my Surface RT, I am having WiFi connectivity issues, some apps are jumpy Twitter does not scroll well.

I like the changes in the browser.

So far the browser is the only improvement I like.  The start button and boot to desktop did not change the way I use the device at all.  The photos app losing skydrive and facebook albums which I used was not a good thing (hope this comes back in RTM), and no messaging app is kind of a bummer.  I know they want Skype to be the one service, but the messenger app had other features.  Start screen syncing seems great until you have different size screens with different res and then all of your screens look very different, and not real pretty. 

on my RT, it comes with Outlook!!!!!!!!!! but same as schoon, wifi service randomly stops and big issues with apps. 

Has anyone installed 8.1 on a Surface Pro yet? I'd be interested to know if battery life is improved at all. The battery is the only downside of trading up to the Pro from the RT in my experience.

I'm refraining from installing 8.1 on our Surface Pros because there will not be any upgrade path from the Release Candidates to the final release -- there will be from Win8.0.

• Like 1

Yes, that's one of a couple of reasons I'm not installing it until it's at final release. I'm just hopeful that battery life is improved. I really think if the Surface Pro had better battery life, I could completely replace my iPad. But that may have to wait for a later generation.

It most likely will have to wait for units with Haswell CPUs, most likely later this year. I don't have any issues really with battery life, but that's because I mostly run it with the charger connected (like right now). When I take it out, if I anticipate being gone a long time I take the charger with me; otherwise not.

I really think a car charger could be a big benefit in your situation.

I went back to 8.0 after a couple days. Too many issues and no real help on the MS 8.1 previous forum.

1. black screen after longer sleeps (>30min). The only way to get the system back was a reboot.

2. WiFi service stopped after sleep. Every other time the system work up from sleep it lost all WiFi connections. Only way to fix it was to stop and re-enable the adapter.

3. a number of apps would crash, mostly the mail app. apps like Twitter would only work with jerky, uncontrollable scrolling.

4. no more support for USB to Ethernet. This did not work anymore and it seems that is something MS is planning for 8.1 reading other sites.

5. IE11 has long ways to go with secure sites. I had problems connecting to my Exchange server requiring CAC etc.