RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
mplovan

8.1 Preview Install

mplovan

I see on the download page they recommend making a USB recovery partition.

I never moved/deleted the original Recovery partition off my device.

any idea if it will still work if I want to go back to 8.0 RT?

mplovan

follow up question--

can I use an SD card for recovery?

Richard1488993267

Install was successful for me but took about 1 1/2  hrs unlike my desktop install which completely failed and has corrupted my store app even after a restore to an earlier point in time.

Initial impression of my rt install are:

1. seems a little slower but may be due to broken permissions in people app and other login dependent apps.

2. connecting to bluetooth devices still not so hot

3. large tile feature is pretty cool love the weather app

4. Outlook 2013 is Beautiful and touch keyboard works in desktop mode without having to launch it

pfinter

Just remember folks this is a preview.

• The Missing languages support will be in place by the time 8.1 goes GA.
  • Sadly, the Driver support will only be as good as the driver developers. RT will always struggle with this until it gets more of a presence in the community.

• Having said that, MS has done well to get a broad range of driver compatibility working on the RT.
  • I do have a problem with a MS Cinema Series 720p web cam. You'd think MS would have gotten that to work. However, it isn't supported as of now on RT. Don't know about 8.1 preview but I suspect it isn't there.
  • I'm still surprised by the reported long installation times for 8.1. Seems like a flashback to the old "swapping of floppies" we did back in the mid 90's and 80's. This will likely improve as they will probably have the chance to optimize the process before going GA.

mdbuilder

• I'm still surprised by the reported long installation times for 8.1. Seems like a flashback to the old "swapping of floppies" we did back in the mid 90's and 80's. This will likely improve as they will probably have the chance to optimize the process before going GA.

Much of the time for me was the download which took a couple hours, I think the throughput problem was on the Microsoft end!

flyboyco

I made a recovery sd card prior to installing 8.1.  I just figured out that I put it on my 32gb card and want to know if I can successfully copy it to my 8gb card.  Can I just copy it over, should I use a copying program, or am I stuck with it on the initial card created by my RT?

DerAusgewanderte

too many inconsistencies, crashes and black screens outweighed the advantages for now. I liked the changes, including Outlook.

However I had to major issues with this that couldn't be fixed even after discussing with folks on the MS forum.

1. black screen after longer sleeps (>30min). The only way to get the system back was a reboot.

2. WiFi service stopped after sleep. Every other time the system work up from sleep it lost all WiFi connections. Only way to fix it was to stop and re-enable the adapter.

3. a number of apps would crash, mostly the mail app. apps like Twitter would only work with jerky, uncontrollable scrolling.

4. no more support for USB to Ethernet. This did not work anymore and it seems that is something MS is planning for 8.1 reading other sites.

5. IE11 has long ways to go with secure sites. I had problems connecting to my Exchange server requiring CAC etc.

to the first post question. Once you installed 8.1,  preview, the recovery files will also change to 8.1. The only way to go back to 8.0 is via a recovery from 8.0 to an external drive. The way the recovery works is it is trying to find the recovery from the USB port. I am not positive, but I do not think the SD card will work.

I am back to 8.0 for now and everything is working great. None of the problems above.

cheers

DerAusgewanderte

I made a recovery sd card prior to installing 8.1.  I just figured out that I put it on my 32gb card and want to know if I can successfully copy it to my 8gb card.  Can I just copy it over, should I use a copying program, or am I stuck with it on the initial card created by my RT?

here is one safe way to create a bootable USB recovery from what you got.

(1) Mount Windows ISO file.
(2) Run "cmd.exe" as administrator.
(3) Type "diskpart".
(4) Type "list disk". Note which disk is your thumb drive. Let's assume disk 1 is your USB memory stick.
(5) Type "select disk 1".
(6) Type "clean".
(7) Type "create partition primary".
(8) Type "select partition 1".
(9) Type "active".
(10) Type "format fs=fat32". "format quick fs=fat32" performs a quick format using FAT32 file system.
(11) Type "assign". You'll notice that the drive letter of your USB memory stick has changed.
(12) Type "exit".
(13) Type "xcopy <source>:\*.* /s/e/f/h <destination>:\"
(14) Once the copying is completed, type "exit" to close the Command Prompt.

Assuming you have the files on your SD card you can skip the mounting part. Just make sure you know exactly the drive letters. This worked for me.

flyboyco

so, less complicated question now...  Can i copy the information off this SD card to a folder on my desktop (backed up to everywhere) for safe keeping to copy back to an SD card for recovery later if needed, or does something get lost in this copy?

DerAusgewanderte

so, less complicated question now...  Can i copy the information off this SD card to a folder on my desktop (backed up to everywhere) for safe keeping to copy back to an SD card for recovery later if needed, or does something get lost in this copy?

yes you could. I would make sure that hidden folders/files are visible in Explorer before I copy, just to make sure everything is copied (open explorer, go to view, click on options on right. Under the view tab check Show hidden files, folders and drives). That is pretty much what the xcopy line in the post above does.

Edited by DerAusgewanderte