RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 8.1 Release Preview Launches Today

surfaceRT

I have to install it, it's in my DNA.  It will be a pain to redo everything but worth it for the look.

It is an update from the windows store. It will retain all of your data, but from my understanding you will have to reinstall all of the apps that you have.

If you choose to install the preview you will not have to re-install your apps to use the preview.  However, when the preview period is over and you need to upgrade the machine to the final released 8.1 all your apps will need to be re-installed.  Metro apps for RT, Metro and desktop apps for Windows 8.  All your data will remain intact.

If you choose not to install the preview you can upgrade to the final release of 8.1 and you will retain your apps and settings.

If you preview, you reinstall, if you wait you don't.

As much as I hate to say it, I will wait and see what peoples thoughts are on this. I upgraded my Win7 laptop to an 8 consumer preview and  found the process of rebuilding the laptop, with the full install, annoying. However, since I'm still the one being envied as I haven't seen anyone else, in my circle, using a Win8/rt device (I lied a guy on the bus. But, we don't see each other often.)

I've been perfectly happy with the version of RT that I have and I get my "something new" fix every week to month as updates to both app software and to the OS roll out.

I'm sure the jump won't be as crazy as from 7 to 8 but, for now I'll watch the forums with eager excitement as you guys and gals work through the discovery of 8.1.

Enjoy!!!