RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
RMansfield

How Easy Is It To Go Back And Forth Between Phones?

RMansfield

Revisiting this thread yet again...

Although I briefly use a 521 in December and January to test out T-Mobile's service (still not enough coverage in important areas), I wasn't wild about that particular phone. It felt kind of cheap compared to my iPhone. Plus, I didn't use it exclusively, but still used my iPhone on Verizon at the same time.

My contract with Verizon ends in September. I'd still like to seriously consider Windows phone, so I have bought a 928 on eBay for about $150. It was from the Gazelle Store on eBay and listed in "good" condition. I've talked with a fellow at the Verizon store, and he says that I can switch back and forth as often as I like for free (which surprises me because normally Verizon seems to nickel and dime me at every turn), but I'll have to bring the phone in each time to make the change. 

So, by the end of the week, I'm going to switch from my iPhone 5 to the Nokia Lumia 928 for at least a month to see if I can get used to the Windows Phone interface. If I decide I like it, I will probably get one of the larger screen phones, such as the Icon if I stay with Verizon, or maybe even the 1520 if I go to AT&T. I went by the AT&T store and held the 1520 in my hand. I believe my hand is big enough that its size wouldn't be an issue for me. I'd love to have a screen that big on a phone so that I could also use it as a mini-tablet.

kylejwx

You shouldn't need to bother going into a Verizon store just to switch phones.  All of that can be done on verizonwireless.com by logging into your account.  Verizon 4G LTE SIM cards are mostly reusable (with a few exceptions).  If you have the same size sim card you could just keep moving them back and forth, but since the iPhone 5 uses a Nano SIM and the Lumia 928 uses a Micro SIM that won't work, unless you want to mess with an adapter.

I would just leave each SIM card in each phone and log on to my Verizon account, change the SIM and IMEI number, and reboot the phone

P.S.  Verizon is now matching ATT's no contract pricing on 10GB and higher share plans, with only $15 access fee per smart phone that is out of contract.  I will probably never sign a contract again, and either use EDGE or more likely buy used phones and keep the no contract pricing. 

kylejwx

also, good call on the Gazelle Store on eBay.  It looks like they have some nice deals, depending on what phone you are looking for.

RMansfield

Yes, I thought so, too. The $148 price for a "good condition" 928 was slightly lower than what the phone has been going for (I've been watching a number of them). Plus having sold numerous devices to Gazelle over the years, they seem very legitimate, and I know that they will have given the phone a good look before shipping it. I trust them saying the phone is in good condition more than some average person selling it on eBay.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

P.S.  Verizon is now matching ATT's no contract pricing on 10GB and higher share plans, with only $15 access fee per smart phone that is out of contract.  I will probably never sign a contract again, and either use EDGE or more likely buy used phones and keep the no contract pricing. 

I wish I would have known this Thursday. I will have to call and see if they will give me the $15 access for a new line I added.

kylejwx

I wish I would have known this Thursday. I will have to call and see if they will give me the $15 access for a new line I added.

It's worth a shot.  I would be interested to know the answer you get.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

It's worth a shot. I would be interested to know the answer you get.

I may have misread the post. Looks like it is $15 only if on a 10 GB plan or higher. We are only on 6 GB.

RMansfield

I got the Nokia Lumia 928 in today from Gazelle. Although they had ranged it as "Good" condition, I find it to be absolutely flawless. Not one single scratch or chip. Perhaps they marked it down because it didn't come with a charger. But I have plenty of microUSB chargers, so this was not a big deal. 

I got my number switched to the 928 from my iPhone without a hitch. The guy at the Verizon store even through in the SIM card or free, even though he said they normally cost $10.

And I remembered to turn off iMessage so that I would be able to get my texts. However, I'll tell you that I know I'm going to really miss that feature. I've enjoyed being able to send and receive texts from my iPad and MacBook Pro. 

First significant (to me) Windows Phone question: is there really not an integrated inbox for email? Do I really have to visit a separate icon for each email account I have?

Edited by RMansfield

kylejwx

My first question using an iPhone, "is there really no way to separate all my email addresses?". :)

I think there is some sort of linked inbox feature, but I like all my email accounts seperate so I never tried it.

pfinter

My first question using an iPhone, "is there really no way to separate all my email addresses?". :)

I think there is some sort of linked inbox feature, but I like all my email accounts seperate so I never tried it.

If memory serves, there was in WP7.  However, the powers that be removed that option for WP8.