RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
RMansfield

How Easy Is It To Go Back And Forth Between Phones?

Dave

I saw that Verizon news yesterday.  They must be feeling the heat from T-Mob.  A family member of mine recently pulled out of VZW and moved all his business cell phones to t-mob.  Cheap LG Optimus L9 handsets and a $10 monthly payment for the phone.  Zero dollars down on that phone as well.  It made a huge difference to his monthly bill and total overall bill.  They had the HTC One and I tried to talk him into that one! $300 down and $20 a month though.  The 925 is not in the t-mob stores yet.

RMansfield

Our contract with Verizon won't end until September of next year, but I'm going to seriously consider T-Mobile at the time. I have no doubt I'd have coverage where I am right now, but we visit family in the deep south, and I would need to make certain I could still get a signal in those places.

WolfJT

Be aware of these early upgrade programs from these carriers. In most cases you'll end up paying more, then when just sticking with your current plan.

• Like 1

RMansfield

The ones from AT&T and Verizon definitely seem like a rip-off.

If I'm reading the details correctly on the T-Mobile plan, it's only $10 a month. Someone correct me if that understanding is wrong.

I'm leaning heavily toward switching from Verizon to T-Mobile, but I have over a year to think about it when my current contract is up.

kylejwx

Hey lots of good stuff in this thread. Here are a few of my thoughts.

Verizon 3G phones (including iPhone 4/4S) do not use SIM cards to run on the Verizon Network in the United States, though they may have SIM card slots for international use, or if unlocked GSM use anywhere in the world.

Verizon 4G phones have SIM cards, but they come in 3 different sizes, Standard, Micro, and Nano.  Micro is currently the most common, while only older 4G androids use the standard.  The iPhone 5 uses the Nano. (reportedly the new Moto X will use a nano SIM as well.

Switching from 4G phones on Verizon is as simple as swapping SIM cards, but you need to have the same size in both devices or use a nano sim adapter if switching between iPhone 5.  The adapters are cheap on Amazon. You can switch between 3G and 4G phones on the Verizon website, but after you have tasted 4G I don't know why you would want to go back. :)

I can't comment on how voicemail would switch between iPhone/WP8/android for Verizon.  If you just use Google Voice, you get free visual voice mail and it doesn't matter what phone you have.

Verizon should only charge you that nasty $30 fee if you are signing a two year contract. It's free to switch phones otherwise.  

Regarding various "early upgrade options."  I will agree with the previous statements that the Verizon edge plan and att next plan are very expensive and pretty much a rip off for most people.

I went ahead and double checked T-Mobile's Jump plan, and it may be of some interest.  Just remember that T-Mobile is no longer subsidizing the price of the phone anymore; you pay the full price, but in monthly installments like Dave mentioned.  Right now the HTC One is $23 a month, so you have to add that to your monthly bill, plus $10 for JUMP.  JUMP includes the insurance so that is nice as well.  Also T-Mobile's monthly plans are much cheaper than ATT or Verizon.  When you add in the total monthly bill for the phone and service it is about the same, but you can upgrade faster with T-Mobile.

If you add $23 for the phone and $10 for jump that’s $33 a month times 24 months = about $800 over two years.  Lets say you just wanted to bring your own phones to T-Mobile.  For example, every 6 months you bought the phone you want on craigslist for about $400 and then were able to resell it for about $300 six months later.  After two years, you would only be out $400 as opposed to about $800 by paying T-Mobile for the phone.  So the benefit with T-Mobile there is the insurance, plus not having to deal with the 2nd hand marketplace.  That's up to you.

Overall JUMP doesn't seem as bad as I first thought, and might really be a good option.  You do have to have T-Mobile coverage or none of this matters and where I am it is not the best.  One thing to note though, T-Mobile is the only company to allow seamless calling and texting over WiFI.  So if you do happen to be in a place (Family members house) with no T Mobile cell towers, you should be able to jump onto the Wifi and continue using your phone.

RMansfield

Okay, I'm revisiting this old conversation because I figured out how to do what I wanted to do when I first began it back in June.

I've used an iPhone since 2007, upgrading on time every other year. My current contract with Verizon doesn't expire until September of 2014. 

In the discussion above, I had lamented that it's simply not as easy to try out different phones (as it is tablets) because they are usually tied to contracts unless you want to buy off contract which costs a lot more up front. So, regardless, it's an expensive thing to try. 

I've not been averse to trying out a Windows phone, but I'd want to do just that--I'd want to try it before I commit. I have no complaints against my current iPhone 5, and I'd be willing to try a Windows phone, but what if I get a few weeks into it, and it just didn't work for me? 

The other thing I've wanted to try out is T-Mobile. I really like the flexibility of their plans and services that they've developed over the last couple of years. My question is a question a lot of people have though--will I have coverage in all places I need to be?

So all that to lead up to what I've done: I bought a used Nokia Lumia 521 on eBay, and since T-Mobile doesn't require contracts, I'm going to try it out over the next month by getting the least expensive plan possible (I'll still have my iPhone with me). We'll be visiting family and traveling across four states--the same trip we make two or three times a year--so this will be a great test of both the Windows phone as well as T-Mobile's service and coverage. 

I know that the 521 isn't the most advanced Windows phone out there, but I'm not trying to compare it directly to the iPhone. I just want to know if I would like the overall Windows Phone experience better. 

The Windows Phone should be here day after tomorrow. I'll be certain and report back either intermittently or at least by the beginning of January.

CommonTek

I have been thinking the same. Actually my wife wants a new phone, she is running an android that is over two years old. I am thinking about grabbing the 521 for her (and me to play with). She doesn't care about the best phone out there and wants something cheap so this is a good option. Luckily we are already on TMobile.

pfinter

David McCabe's posts about switching from the iPhone to the Lumia 928 have me intrigued.

I regularly try out various tablets on different platforms. That's easy because I can buy them, and then if I don't decide to keep them, I can sell them usually for a little less than the purchase price as long as the model is still current.

But phones are more difficult--or more accurately, expensive. They either involve contracts or outright purchases of the full price of the phone without a contract. 

David's posts have made me interested in both the Windows Phone 8 platform as well as the 928. I'm either easily influenced or David's a persuasive writer, or probably a little bit of both. Like his previous experience, I currently have an iPhone--an iPhone 5 on Verizon to be specific. 

As it's an iPhone 5, that means I'm only one year into my two-year contract. I just double-checked, and I won't be eligible for an upgrade until September 25, 2014. If I were to buy a Lumia 928 from Verizon off-contract, they would charge me $499. Buying one on eBay would get me one for roughly around $400 or so. 

If I did this, I could either sell my iPhone 5 (32 GB) for somewhere between $500 & $600 on eBay (based on what I'm seeing right now) or resell the Lumia 928 for a price near what I bought it if I decided I didn't like it. 

Okay, all of that was a long introduction to a very basic question I have: if I were to get a Lumia 928 from eBay, how easy would it be to avoid any interaction with Verizon as I simply try out the phone? Verizon charges about $30 to switch devices, and I don't want to pay that if I decide in the end I'd rather stick with the iPhone. So, can the SIM card in my iPhone simply be placed in a Lumia 928 and the phone work fine; and then if I decide to go back to the iPhone, can I then switch the SIM card back to iPhone?

I realize that's a very basic question, but I've never tried to do this before, so I don't know the answer.

The greater concern depends on the age of your IPhone and the size of the SIM card used.

The 928 has the newer SIM cards that rolled out with the 4g service. The form factor is significantly smaller than the SIM card that 3g phones had.

Being an AT&T customer, I was surprised when I upgraded from my Samsung Focus to my Nokia 920. Also, I had my son try placing his SIM, from a feature phone into the slot on the Samsung Focus. He was immediately charged for the smart phone data plan. On AT&T, they bill data plans differently between feature phones and Smart phones. As I recall, they have a separate billing for a data plan for IPhones too.

I would check with Verizon and confirm that if you swap phones you will not be charged for two separate Data plans when you switch between the two phones. 

My 2 cents...