RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
RMansfield

How Easy Is It To Go Back And Forth Between Phones?

RMansfield

David McCabe's posts about switching from the iPhone to the Lumia 928 have me intrigued.

I regularly try out various tablets on different platforms. That's easy because I can buy them, and then if I don't decide to keep them, I can sell them usually for a little less than the purchase price as long as the model is still current.

But phones are more difficult--or more accurately, expensive. They either involve contracts or outright purchases of the full price of the phone without a contract. 

David's posts have made me interested in both the Windows Phone 8 platform as well as the 928. I'm either easily influenced or David's a persuasive writer, or probably a little bit of both. Like his previous experience, I currently have an iPhone--an iPhone 5 on Verizon to be specific. 

As it's an iPhone 5, that means I'm only one year into my two-year contract. I just double-checked, and I won't be eligible for an upgrade until September 25, 2014. If I were to buy a Lumia 928 from Verizon off-contract, they would charge me $499. Buying one on eBay would get me one for roughly around $400 or so. 

If I did this, I could either sell my iPhone 5 (32 GB) for somewhere between $500 & $600 on eBay (based on what I'm seeing right now) or resell the Lumia 928 for a price near what I bought it if I decided I didn't like it. 

Okay, all of that was a long introduction to a very basic question I have: if I were to get a Lumia 928 from eBay, how easy would it be to avoid any interaction with Verizon as I simply try out the phone? Verizon charges about $30 to switch devices, and I don't want to pay that if I decide in the end I'd rather stick with the iPhone. So, can the SIM card in my iPhone simply be placed in a Lumia 928 and the phone work fine; and then if I decide to go back to the iPhone, can I then switch the SIM card back to iPhone?

I realize that's a very basic question, but I've never tried to do this before, so I don't know the answer.

cskenney

So the first thing to point out is that Verizon does not use SIM cards.  Your iPhone 5 has a microSIM card slot but there is nothing in it.  You can take your iPhone and install a SIM card from another carrier.  I have a friend who does this when he goes to China.

Next item.  I don't think you can try out the "cell phone" portions of the phone without interacting with Verizon.  Dave was using another Nokia phone for a while by just using the wifi access on it (no calls and no cellular data).

If you want to be cutting edge it's gonna cost you.  You can always roll the dice and just keep buying and selling but it won't be without some cost.

Dave

I'll jump in and tell you what I learned from my Verizon store.  They do in fact, install a 4G SIM into a 4G phone.  My rep did this in front of me and I asked if I could put it in my current phone, the iPhone 4S.  She said, NO, it would have to be a 4G phone.  I asked why this wouldn't work and wouldn't it just go back down to 3G? She didn't know.  I re-affirmed by asking if I could purchase a 4G Android phone and swap back and forth. Her answer was yes.

The iPhone complicates thing since it has a bundled visual voice mail.  If you want visual voice mail with any other phone manufacturer you have to pay for it.  Apple has negotiated this into the iPhone data plan.  I'm not real sure what the voicemail would do if you put the 4G SIM into the iPhone 5.  I know VZW has to set it up and they will tell you that you will lose VM's going from one plan to another.  Must be different systems.

Go ask.  One thing I have learned though. Don't go into the reseller stores. Go to the Verizon company store.

My understanding is WP8 and Android 4G SIM swapping is not a problem.  It gets complicated with the iPhone.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

What is visual voice mail.

Dave

It's a service that integrates with software on the phone that simplifies voicemail.  Instead of dialing a phone number and listening to your messages you use the software to listen to messages much like and e-mail inbox.  The big selling point is being able to jump around and listen to messages you want to listen to first.

RMansfield

Does Windows Phone 8 have visual voice mail--even with an extra charge?

pfinter

I thought I had it turned on for my first Nokia 920 a few months back. If I recall, there wasn't a charge. Just have to take the time to configure the option.  If I have time, I'll try setting it up tonight and post back later.

Dave

My VZW store told me there was a nominal monthly fee to enable it.  Windows Phone 8 does have the software to take advantage of it though.  I'm not sure if it's built in to the OS or it's a carrier piece.  You can find it on WP8 on VZW and get a 30 day free trial of it.

osquest1488993265

Visual Voice mail is $3/mth on Verizon. At least that's the quoted price I got online if I wanted it added to my plan on the 928.

And FYI - not all Android 4G SIMS are compatible with the 928, probably due to to form factor. But my 4G HTC wasn't compatible and my iPhone 4S (a 3G SIM) also wasn't compatible)

pfinter

The basics of Visual Voice Mail on AT&T

No additional cost as long as you don't go over your data plan. Here's a link describing Visual Voice Mail for AT&T:

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB115686&cv=820#fbid=tdbA2FR92dM

Here are some instructions for setting it up on the Nokia 920

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/zxue/archive/2012/11/10/how-to-set-up-visual-voicemail-on-at-amp-t-nokia-lumia-920.aspx

It works well and I appreciate it more than traditional voice mail.  However, I don't appreciate the fact I have to use my cell data plan to use it. As a super cheapskate on data plans, it's too bad you can't use wifi for the downloading of the voicemails.

With two teenagers and a preteen, I find that I seldom take voice calls. Most of my communication is through text and email. For the most part, my 79 year old father and 72 year old mother are the only ones that still call me by voice.