RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP EX 490 for customer

krom

I have a customer who wanted to consolidate and protect his data and some help with PC backups. I of course suggested a WHS for the job and after a couple of months (and two PC drive failures) he decided this might be a good idea. So I suggested an HP EX490 with two drives as a good starting off point. I wanted something reliable with a factory warranty and OEM definitely seemed the way to go for this job. From my personal perspective I have a home build but I wasn't comfortable doing that for a customer.

He's already ordered the box and I'm going to set it up and configure all his clients to connect and back up to it. I figured I'd ask you guys what you might feel would be good addins to include on this install. Or should I just keep it as vanilla as possible.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Are you going to be doing any remote administration? Remote notifier is a good one. Of course the normal one's like Disk Management.

both great suggestions,

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/downloads/add-ins/RemoteNotification.zip

http://www.homeserverland.com/whs/m/whsaddins/4/download.aspx

I would include WHS Health and install a bookmark on my mobile phone for anytime status of the server.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/downloads/add-ins/WHSHealth.zip

If you want to recieve a scheduled email indicating the status of backups, try this.

http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/07/31/windows-home-server-backup-reports-email/ strickly speaking, this is not a true add-in as it is not installed the usual way.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an update for this. So I actually installed this for my customer last night and things went relatively smooth. I did walk away with some lessons learned though.

First I let my customer buy the unit and I just showed up to set up, deploy and address some other issues he was having. A much better approach would have been to either buy the server for him or pick it up from him earlier and pre-configure a lot of the stuff before bringing it on site. This being the first HP MSS I've worked with there was a lot of new things I haven't dealt with before from the software side. This is going to result in another visit or remote session at the very least to wrap things up. And it will be no charge for that because, well, it's my fault not his. Not that I have any problem with that, it's just not an efficient use of my time.

The second thing I walked away with is that I should probably pick up a used MSS just to learn all of it's ins and outs. Even with Vail on the horizon v.1 is still the production product and HP's implementation is a pretty good implementation with a lot of value add. So if this is the product I'm going to put out there then I need a better handle on it. I was pretty confident that my knowledge of the stock OEM WHS was enough, and to be fair, it was to get the job done. However it wasn't enough to do a stellar job in my opinion.

Finally I have another question. What tools do you guys use for remote support? I've been using Team Viewer and I've been happy with it but I'm interested to know what everyone else who supports others likes to use.

TeamViewer is fine, but your customer has to RDC into the server, start it and give you the keys. I also tried LogMeIn. You can set that up and log into the server at any time without their assistance. The 1st 30 days for the Pro version is free and you can see a bunch of the servers running services and event logs, that's convienent. Also if their web site goes down, you can still get it. Then you can switch to the always free version.