RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rod at home

What Happened, With Regards To Your Unlimited Plan?

Rod at home

This question is directed more towards Dave McCabe (?sp). I just finished listening to podcast 26, "The xbox one and Lumia 928 on Surface Geeks". I have an HTC Trophy with Verizon, and I am so ready to get off of that phone onto my next Windows Phone. Last weekend my wife and I went to our local Verizon store and looked at the Lumia 928, and honestly fell in love with it. We haven't made the move yet, because like you, Dave, we currently have unlimited data plan, but that's with our HTC Trophy, which is a 3G phone. While listening to the podcast it wasn't clear to me if you were able to maintain your unlimited data plan and move to 4G or not. How did that work out?

osquest1488993265

When I talked to Verizon a couple months ago I was told the 3G -> 4G wouldn't lose the unlimited. I had a data plan, it wasn't a "3G only" plan. Getting a new subsidized phone WOULD lose the unlimited data.

I eventually decided to lose the unlimited because i had been monitoring my usage for a couple months and my usage was steady. I'm not a heavy video user so I didn't expect a change. There was a non-trivial monthly savings for me to switch.

Rod at home

Really? I've never been given that option. In fact, I've been told flat out, "You buy a new phone, your plan changes." Which puzzles me when some of you say that you got to keep your unlimited plan. However, osquest, I'm interested to learn that you might actually save some money, but switching. That would make the change worth it, if you have a low data usage.

osquest1488993265

I could have upgraded my phone at the time for full price and stayed month-to-month on my contract and keep unlimited data. But that's about all I could do and keep unlimited data. The assumption might be that "buy a new phone" means "buy a new subsidized phone". They were clear that I would keep unlimited if I paid full price for the phone.I specifically asked if I paid the non-contract price for the new phone, and kept a month-to-month contract could I keep unlimited data and I was told yes. 

I suggest working through the costs by going through the change plan process on their website, just being careful not to go all the way through. And somewhere on their site they have a tool that shows usage for the past several months.

I worked through a bunch of different options and cell phone bills are complicated. But the bottom line was I have two phones (both were unlimited). I added a 4G MiFi hotspot (which is what forced the plan change for me) and I pay the same monthly bill as before. Using a phone as a hotspot just wasn't working for me so I really needed a MiFi.

With the new plans one thing to keep in mind is you can raise and lower the plan anytime without any charges. I did this when some apartment problems forced me into a hotel for a week and I lost my wireless network. I up'd it to 6GB (at a prorated $10 bump) during the month and then before the end of the billing cycle I lowered it back rather than paying the overage rate.I retrospect I probably should have gone with 2GB and bumped it to 4GB when summer arrives as my winter usage is low.

It does depend on your own usage, but for me I've been able to keep subsidized phones, and add a MiFi without spending more per month

Rod at home

I didn't know that Verizon had a way of seeing what your bill may be, by going through a change plan process. That's very useful! Also being able to see what the last several months of our usage has been, could also be quite useful. Thank you for this information!!

Dave

I was told several months ago by a Verizon rep that if I bought a new phone my Unlimited 3G plan would need to change to their family data plan.  Thinking back, I agree with you guys.  When they say "purchase a new phone" they mean on subsidy.  In that case you would lose your unlimited plan.  I purchased the phone at full retail price and was able to keep my unlimited. 

Rod at home

I was told several months ago by a Verizon rep that if I bought a new phone my Unlimited 3G plan would need to change to their family data plan.  Thinking back, I agree with you guys.  When they say "purchase a new phone" they mean on subsidy.  In that case you would lose your unlimited plan.  I purchased the phone at full retail price and was able to keep my unlimited. 

Unlimited and at 4G?

Dave

I didn't believe it at first. Here is my VZW portal screen shot.

Screen-Shot-2013-05-31-at-11.23.29-PM.pn

• Like 1

Rod at home

Sweet, Dave. I think I'm going to try and do that, too. My problem is they never offered that, but I hadn't asked what would happen if I bought the 928 outright. If you don't mine my asking, how much did it cost?

Dave

$499 plus tax.

I'm doing so well with the phone that I think I need to liquidate the iPhone 4S.

• Like 1