RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Disk Space Issues

HiramSS

As I use my 32GB Surface more and more, over my laptop and iPad, I have become conscious of disk space.  (I do have 30GB of SkyDrive space) So, I have some questions and look for help.

1) My C: has 11.9/24.9GB free. 13.0 Used  (I understand that the difference between 32 and 24.9 is reserved for OS, etc.)  When I open C:, Program Files has .793, Sources has 0, Users has 1.93, Windows has 7.86 (another big chunk).  This adds up to 10.583/13.0GB used.  Where can I find the other 2.417GB used???

2) I purchased a 64GB SanDisk Ultra microSDXC card. Is installing it and saving files to it as simple as that - plug & work?

3) I've seen a lot on Google about installing apps on the micro card.  Is this recommended ... is there a "best" way to do it ... what happens to the apps already on the Surface?

Thanks for the help.

To answer your other question about Installing apps to an SD Card.  I would argue that while this is possible (as you noted from your Google search) I wouldn't recommend it for the following reasons:

1. SD cards are removable.  Removing it -whether accidental or on purpose- when there are applications on the card could cause instability or strange system problems (for example, what happens to the tile of an app that is on removable storage?)

2. Most Metro/Modern UI applications are relatively small.   You have over 20GB of space left on your 32GB Surface RT.  You would have to install a LOT of applications to fill that up, I would contend.

3. I would suggest using the SD Card to store data instead, which leaves more of the on-board disk for programs.

While installing apps to the SD card may work just fine, I am always cautious for using any removable media for programs.   SD cards are just not as reliable as the SSD that makes up the core disk.

• Like 1

I would be worried about the IO on a SD card for app installs.  This topic was a great conversation with you today on the phone Rob.  In the end, I think you would say that we both agreed that it was a bad idea for many reasons.

Move your data to the SD card and enjoy the 20 GB of space for apps.

The pagefile will also be taking up space, it is at the root of c and is hidden file by default.

This is right... the RT I believe has 2 GB of RAM.  This means that the page file should be that size typically. Oh, and just in case you don't know... the page file is what is used when you need more RAM (Memory) than is on the machine.  It is an internal thing for Windows, but allows you to trick the OS into thinking it has more RAM than it actually has... once a machine starts paging you will definitely see performance issues, typically.

Edited by Dewain27
  • Like 1

Thanks to both RobD and Dewain 27.  Your advice is excellent and I think that I'll follow it.

I was trying to give both a like, but I continue to get an error.

While you're here: a related topic... What is the easiest work-around for getting music, video, photo libraries to recognized media on the SD Card?

Thanks.

Has anyone figured out how to move the data stored by apps to an external location? For example, I've got multiple magazines, comics and other content downloaded that are starting to clog up the SSD. How can I offload those onto the microSD?