RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

Lumia 928 On Verizon

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I was really hoping this would be much better than the 8x. But I guess nothing meets everyone's expectations.

What would make it better than the 8x?

Not a single person saying the 8x had any item that was better. Thus the reason for the last sentence in my previous post.

DWTrump

Picked up my 928 on Friday at my local Verizon store.  Thought they were going to try and take my unlimited data away, but that was only when they thought I was going to do the contract.  For some reason, they said I wasn't eligible for the payment plan, so I ended up paying full retail.  Whatever, Big Red.

Overall, I like the phone alot, and I love finally being on Team Nokia, but I never realized how thin my 8x was until I hold the 928 for a few minutes.  It's like going from holding a softball to a baseball. Not too big of a deal for me, though.  I was running out of space on my 16GB 8x anyway, with all of the podcasts, music, pictures, videos I had on it.

Couple of questions for you other 928 owners:

1. Does your screen have a bluish tint when you tilt the phone off of center?  Not sure if this is something to do with the AMOLED screen technology, or if it's just my phone.

2.  My "find my phone" feature always shows as "off" on the System Settings screen, even though it is turned on in the "find my phone" screen.  Also, all I have on this screen is the On/Off toggle, whereas on my 8x, there were a couple of check boxes to select options.  Is that how everyone else's is?

3. Do any of you have the JBL Nokia PowerUp speaker that was just on sale from AT&T for $150?  I picked one up, and used it with my 8x with no problems at all, but my 928 isn't talking to it correctly.  Says it is connected, Xbox music says it is playing the audio, but no sound coming out.  And if I try to toggle Bluetooth on and off, the 928 freezes.  Maybe the 2 problems are related, and once I get a good connection the freeze will go away, as well.

Side note:  My local store no longer has the 822 on display (only the 928, 8x, and Samsung Ativ).  I asked the rep about it, and she said they may still have some in the back or I could order it online.  I was thinking of getting the 822 for my wife, but having held the Samsung in my hand, that may be a better fit for her.  It's all moot, for now.  As long as Verizon continues to keep the threaded SMS "broken" my wife is stuck with her Trophy, but that thing isn't gonna hold up much longer.

osquest1488993265

DWTrump, my 928 sometimes has a greenish tint when looked at from a sharp angle. Figured it was because I picked green as my theme color. Also, the angle where it looks tinted is sharp and would make the phone hard to read otherwise, also not always, maybe because of the lighting. Never noticed it when I'm actually using the phone, screen is great IMO.

My find my phone feature showed off for awhile, but it worked when it showed off. I just checked and it's back to "ring, lock, erase..." and still works. I've never seen it say anything to indicate it was actually enabled, even as I was remotely ringing the phone.

I've tried the Jambox and one other bluetooth speaker brand I forget. Both worked OK. Haven't used the one you mentioned and I haven't used them with XBox music.

Dave

I set my color to green as well and I don't see anything different when viewing from the side.

I just checked windowsphone.com for the first time since owning the 928 and it eerily went right to my house.  Works well.

I paired the 928 with the soundmatters foxL bluetooth speaker and didn't have an issue playing a podcast.  xBox Music played as well.

I talk about the 822 a little bit on podcast #26. (recorded tonight) I had more trouble with the smaller screen than I have with the 928.  I also paid full retail and kept my unlimited data!

kylejwx

1. I have the Lumia 822 and it also shows "find my phone" as off even when it is on.

2. Just curious, In what way is threaded SMS broken on Verizon? Is it more broken on windows phone 8 than on windows phone 7? My messages are threaded, though sometimes messages longer than 160 characters get out of order.

kylejwx

also for those looking to prevent scratches I use zagg invisible shields instead of using a bulky case. They work great on both the front and back of phones and add just enough space to keep the camera lens from getting dirty.

DWTrump

1. I have the Lumia 822 and it also shows "find my phone" as off even when it is on.

2. Just curious, In what way is threaded SMS broken on Verizon? Is it more broken on windows phone 8 than on windows phone 7? My messages are threaded, though sometimes messages longer than 160 characters get out of order.

1.  That's strange behavior.  On my 8x, it displays fine.  It still works to locate my phone or ring it/lock it from the windowsphone.com website, so it's not too big of a deal.  Just seemed strange.

2. When I had my HTC Trophy, if I sent a text to several friends, all of their responses would be under my initial text, and they would be arranged in time order, like a normal conversation.  On Verizon's WP8 phones, they (Verizon) have disabled the group/threaded messaging function, so if I send a message to several people, rather than all of the responses being grouped together like they were in WP7, the responses all come back individually under each individual's name, so you have to read through all of the responses and piece together the conversation.  And responding to the group is practically impossible.

It's a real pain, but I deal with it, since I'm a big fan of the WP platform and there is SUPPOSEDLY a fix coming in the next couple of months (it's essentially a registry key that has been changed by Verizon, based on what I've heard). For others like my wife, it's a non-starter, and I wonder what new WP users on Verizon are going to think when they hit this roadblock for such a basic feature.

CommonTek

Dave - just want to say I am enjoying your series detailing your switch to WP8.  Personally I was considering it myself, I had Android.  I considered IPhone as well but I ultimately stuck with Android, the HTC One.  I had the 8X and 822 to consider but I feel in love with the elegance, pixel density, and sound of the One.  Also, the camera is as good as the 822 and 8x.  I wanted to wait for the 825 but couldn't so I had to go with the One.  Still, it is a good read!

CommonTek

Meant 925

Dave

Thanks for the feedback.  There is more coming!

There are a lot of good choices at the moment.  I think the One is a good looking phone so don't blame ya at all.  Still time to sell it and get a 928 on Verizon!