RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Double Rt Preformance Speed

LawnPaul

This comes from Windows Phone Hacker.

tl;dr: jessenic found that by disabling the unnecessary Defender service on his Surface RT, his performance was dramatically improved. Details below.

Now, before you go around saying nonsense, here's the gist of the situation. Windows 8 and Windows RT have Defender, Microsoft's "security essentials" service, built into the OS. This does real-time scanning of files, processes, etc. on your machine. On the desktop, this is nice, because it gives you an integrated anti-virus/anti-spyware system and removes the requirement of needing third-party threat tools (unless you're paranoid or hang out on the darknet).

Windows RT also has this bundled. This is kind of bizarre, actually, as I would argue it's completely unnecessary, as Windows RT is ARM based, and only runs signed code (unless you jailbreak it), so if someone made ARM-based malware, it wouldn't run anyway.

It is theoretically possible that someone could trick you into running a powershell script with admin rights, but that wouldn't be covered by Defender anyway.

Point is, by disabling Defender, you can gain a huge performance boost on your Surface RT. Jesse claims his apps run instantly and without lag. Your mileage may vary, but I'd argue it's a tweak with trying.

Check out the steps over at XDA, and post there or here in the comments if it gives you any sort of noticeable performance boost.

No, this will not make your device insecure.

sorry, but "double performance" is hype and makes the entire point questionable. Yes, I actually tried it (4th reply in linked thread) and didn't notice much of an improvement overall. Certainly not "double". others have noticed slight improvements. I suggest you change the title to "improve performance" because it otherwise weakens your message.

cheers

Edited by DerAusgewanderte
  • Like 1

sorry, but "double performance" is hype and makes the entire point questionable. Yes, I actually tried it (4th reply in linked thread) and didn't notice much of an improvement overall. Certainly not "double". others have noticed slight improvements. I suggest you change the title to "improve performance" because it otherwise weakens your message.

cheers

Not actually my topic name. I took the the name and article from WindowsPhoneHacker.com Edited by LawnPaul
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No, this will not make your device insecure.

I have to say that I don't agree with this.  I understand you're summarizing an article from XDA but I just had to post back on this.   The argument that "it will not make your device insecure" is a Logical Fallacy, specifically Ad Ignorantiam (This decision is correct

because it has not been proven false. ).  Security through Obscurity is NOT security.. It just grants you a false sense that you're doing something well.

It's quite possible that someone has already figured out how to spoof signed code, and there are other ways to exploit a machine without having code run (I'm not a security expert so you can tell me to jump off a bridge however).....

I -personally- am much more happy with a slightly slower machine and knowing that I have a level of protection that is ready for when someone figures out how to exploit Surface RT.    Your mileage may vary, but I am of the mind that utilize the protection provided.  The overall experience is still pretty spiffy.  RT is pretty well rocking.. I still don't see a lot of slowness.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Do not waste your time. I tried and did not notice any different. So the benefit does not pay for the risk.

• Like 1