RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

AHCI

Renny

Hi Folks

I recently built a new HTPC around a Core i530/H57 config with a SSD as my C:\ drive

I tried to instal W7 via ACHI but it failed to install, so I reverted to IDE and no problems.

Then I hear on podact 18 that trim is not enabled in IDE mode??

Performance does not seem to be an issue (boots to WMC in about 30 secs)....so two questions if I may

1. 1.I presume you have to use AHCI to install on that basis (ie cant revert after install)
  2. 2. How do you optimise performance using XMP profile?

Regards

Not sure why it would not install assuming it was a clean install. mrossco is right, you can do it after the fact but if it does not work there is something that is not ACHI compatible attached to you system such as an old drive or ide device. Remember that some boards you have to set AHCI in two places in the BIOS. As for the the XMP profile, assuming the memory you purchased supports it, I need to know what motherbard you have for specific instructions on how to get to it.

something that is not ACHI compatible attached to you system such as an old drive or ide device...

You don't by chance have an older DVDRW attached to this do you? Even some of the earlier SATA models had issues with AHCI if I remember correctly.

Correct, no new install would have been needed; just a tweak of the BIOS to change the HDD's from IDE to AHCI.

Sorry for the late response, I have been flat out with other (less important) stuff.

Appreciate your responses and will give them a go.

BTW this is a new build, all sata, one SSD, One 2.5 caviar black and a Pioneer blue ray drive, core i3, h57 board.

H57 should not be an issue right??

Sorry, just reread your posts.

The Pioneer BluRay is one of the originals, cant recall the model but it is at least 3yo

The mobo is a Gigabyte H57 USB3