RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Observations On Issues Connecting Surface Rt To Monitors And Projectors

schoondoggy

I own both Microsoft adapters for the RT, HDMI and VGA. I am not pleased with either. The main issue is the connection at the Surface. They made the plug beveled to match the side angle of the Surface, but the connection is not tight. When a HDMI cable moves around the connection gets lost and needs to reconnect.

I have found these right angle cables make a very firm consistent HDMI connection;

wp000404c.jpg
I just bought one of these from;
Check with the vendor you buy from to be sure the right angle is the right way.
I trim a little plastic off the connector to make it bevel like the side of the Surface.
The right angle cable puts less strain on the connection, but it does block the USB port;
wp000399.jpg
In case I need to connect to another HDMI cable I have a HDMI female to female adapter;
wp000403j.jpg
I bought this one from;
For VGA connections, I decide to build on the other two cable by getting a HDMI to VGA adapter. This plugs into the other two pieces;

If you get one of these, be sure it matches this description;

HDMI Male to VGA Female Video Converter Adapter Cable W/ Chipset for PC DVD HDTV

The 'W/ Chipset for PC DVD HDTV' seems to help.

All three pieces give me all the connection options I need, at a cost of $20.54;

wp000401y.jpg

Another thing I learned regardless of whether I was using the Microsoft adapters or the parts listed here, if you are connected to a device that the Surface is having trouble finding the correct resolution for, you can manually set it. Go to the desktop, right click in a open area and select Screen Resolution from the menu. Click on the monitor you are having the issue with and try setting the correct resolution.
Since I have gone to this set of adapters, I can use my Surface with everything. 720 resolution monitors and 1024x768 projectors need manual intervention, but they work. 
I think the loose connection at the Surface may be the biggest issue.

I think Dave is going to love that last blurb.  Great stuff here, but it makes me wonder should why all of this is so hard to begin with? I have the Microsoft HDMI adapter for my RT, and once I have it setup I am afraid to touch the thing because as you said it loses connection so easily.  

I think they got too hung up on making it look nice and lost sight of functionality.

The Microsoft adapters would be fine if, the mechanical connection was longer and made a better connection and the cord was longer so there would be less strain on the connection.

Currently, I m at work, my laptop died and I am using my RT for work.

I have a Acer 24" 1920x1200 monitor connected and I am using my backup HP Simplesave USB drive to access my files.

Yes, my desk is a mess;

wp000405m.jpg

Not sure if it will work with the MS adapters (as I don't have any), but I have used a knife to trim back the molded plastic on other connectors & adapters in the past, in order to allow more of the connector to enter the jack.

Not sure if it will work with the MS adapters (as I don't have any), but I have used a knife to trim back the molded plastic on other connectors & adapters in the past, in order to allow more of the connector to enter the jack.

As noted above the Microsoft adapters are angled/beveled to match the side angle of the Surface.

I also trim the plastic on the non-Microsoft adapters I use.

I did see that. Sorry, I meant to say that I trim the plastic even further back, to expose more of the metal connector.